[Answered] Suggestion: Trending Topics & the forums that make up that list

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Funtodoimpossible, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed today when I visited the site and was not logged in that the Trending Topics list can contain threads that are in forums that are not accessible to everyone, specifically the Off Topic/Private forum. '

It did not let me view the contents of that thread without logging in with an account that had access to that forum, but I think it would be useful for the Trending Topics list to be made up of items that the user or guest has access to rather then from all of the different forums on the board.

In this way a guest or someone who has not yet reached Silver status, would not see items in that board in their Trending Topics list and only the people who have reached that level would see it.

This type of restriction may be more useful in the future depending on what else is done with MP.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    These topics should only pull from those forums that you have access to actually, so you should never see threads there that are in the private off topic area for example unless you are logged into a silver level account. If you were logged out or if you didn't have access yet, you should just see a different topic in place of the one the silver user was seeing.

Are you seeing something that seems to indicate it is not working this way?

3. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately yes. Around the time I posted the original message, the thread:

When words DO hurt.....this is not humurous
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/when-words-do-hurt-this-is-not-humurous.5698/unread

was appearing in the Trending Topics list while I was not logged into MP and that thread is based in the Off Topic/Private forum.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Hmm, that should not have happend for certain. I'll have to keep an eye on this to see if I can catch this happening. (I don't see anything like that up there now.) If anyone catches one of these happening if you can post to this thread to let me know I'll get an email alert and be able to check/verify it quickly that way. Thanks.

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I just thought of a good way to do a test on this and the result was that this area is acting as it should. If you don't have access to a thread it will not show on the front page. To do this I temporarily restricted access to the "We were thinking" forum and upon doing this Mikel's thread from yesterday that is currently at the top of Trending Topics fell off completely if I accessed the site while logged in.

If you think you see threads showing that shouldn't while logged out there again, can you take a screenshot of it in a way that clearly shows you are not logged in also? My best guess is that you were logged out of the site, but had left a the home page open in a window and this might be what is making you think that you saw a post on a page you shouldn't have.