[Answered] Suggestion to separate forums?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by BondAir007, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the site is still in beta. But I was wondering if there any plans or suggestions to separate couple forums?

Example Forum: Milage Runs/ Mattress Runs / Travel hacking.

I find it there is too much going on with mixing airline, hotels and other deals under one forum title. So, if someone interested in only one forum and not the other two. It would helpful to separate three titles into their own forum before the section gets bigger.

Thanks.

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    yes, many plans. as you might guess, tonights move to our formal hosting and expansion plan is the result of being able to watch the dynamics of bandwidth use and other needs on the technology forefront. And it comes at a good time—yesterday was a record day for posts on milepoint surpassing almost all the daily post totals i've ever seen from my experience with other boards and while we were able to handle with no problems considering a test server environment, we now have very high hopes that we have technology under control—the bigger picture of technology. Beginning this weekend we start our audit of content to decide the things you are referring to here as well as many other items such as the organization of the information a la wikis being tested in a few forums and we have an A-B test for forum-based organization fo information. Rather than a forum specific approach to information organization, we are taking a consistent approach to try and make sure that members going from forum to forum have familiar references of the content our members are assisting our members with. You can be sure that our changes and adjustments are being lead by input—for instance, the oirginal forum tree was not conceived by me. I asked gleff to put together his thoughts on the initial forums based on what he saw from his experience on other travel forums and as well his view as a member of such forums, not as an admin such as mine. we introduced today a test of a Timeshares forum based on nothing but feedback from a member meetup of MilePoint that i attended last weekend in LA. While not every point of input will make sense to us, it won't be summarily dismissed, it will be measured against our timeline for Beta, the overall goals of better navigation for information and a reasonable expectation that the forum's timing is spot on. I have certainly seen that there are some ideas whose time will come so i would ask that members not consider what is on for the launch to be the perfect future. Let's grow toward that. But we are listening. Here's a perfect example. I'm a huge supporter of an individual forum for the interest of our LGBT travelers having championed such a forum in my previous experience on FlyerTalk. And while it was not originally listed in the starter list of forums for MilePont that Gary provided, I went ahead and entered it into the list. Well, as we got ready for launch, one of the more active frequent flyers in this sort of community happened to notice and advised me to drop it—let it earn its way and earn its time for such a forum. I love the fact that even the frequent flyer and members get what is the most reasonable thing to do.

So, continue to post your feedback, your ideas and we are listening. While some things will certainly change by March 1, that date simply means we are just beginning. I thank you for your continued concern and offer of feedback to make MilePoint exactly what the frequent flyer needs and is asking for.

Gaucho, tahewett and Tinkerer like this.
  3. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, thanks for the transparency. You must be swamped so it means a lot that you take the time to listen and respond to so many of our suggestions.

While the suggestions keep on flowing, many kudos to you, Mikel, Tim, and the rest of the team for all the tweaks you've already done in the last two weeks.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We're working through the night with our big change of server array this evening—no banker hours for us (and apologies to our financial members, just couldn't think of another correlation that is a popular take). We found that late friday evenings were to slowest time for our young so far.

5. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean 'young?' :)

p.s. I like the idea of a Timeshares forum....

travelingmore likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, I have a lot of good content over on FT inside the Argentina sub-forum. Would be very happy to bring it over here.... is there a chance we can get an Argentina specific sub-fora onto your "to be considered" list..??

Thanks,
    Alex

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    i'm not sure what i was referring to when typing "young." Certainly a typo and i'm not having luck replicating what it might have been. As for Timeshares, i hold no credit on that other than listening—it came from the 23 members at the LAX meetup last weekend. But it has to earn its way to stay and just a test during beta. There is the natural tie-in to loyalty points and conversions. Now, back to trying to replicate .... young.

8. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been editing/interpreting Randy for 10 years and am beginning to sometimes get that 'old married couple' feel where I can practically finish his sentences for him. I'd bet dollars to donuts he meant to type "young community' or 'young forum'.

Am I close Randy?

If so, I'll take the donuts [​IMG]