[Answered] Suggestion: Remove Formatting button in editor

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by SC Flier, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been wishing for a "remove formatting" button to remove all BBCode formatting in the editor.

When pasting in content from a webpage or some other sources, the GUI editor often tries to convert the formatting to BBCode. I often end up stripping it all out -- sometimes requiring much effort.

I think that I'd want such a feature to only remove formatting codes but not affect URL, IMG, or other similar codes.

It would probably be best if it would remove codes from highlighted text only so that the user could be selective about which text should be stripped.

viguera likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 to that.

I generally tend to copy/paste into the notepad, then paste it back here, because more often than not the formatting just ends up looking bad.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually do something similar, however, I do sometimes want it to paste the URL links.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    There are two ways you can do this currently:

1) The litte eraser like button is supposed to do this, though I have noticed it doesn't always do it perfectly. I have noticed that if you select all the text in the entry form it sometimes works better than if you don't.
    Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 12.38.27 PM.png

2) The other way is to toggle the form to plain text with the "AA" icon in the upper right before you paste into the form and then you can either continue in the non wysiwyg editor or can also switch back to the wysiwyg editor under the post box after pasting as well.
    Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 12.42.49 PM.png
    Hope that helps, thanks.

Gargoyle and SC Flier like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did I miss that button? :(

Thanks, Tim!

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some observations about that button:
    • It does not remove positional formatting such as center/right alignment, indenting, or lists.
    • It does remove URLs.
    I think that I'd prefer that it leave the URLs. I'm undecided about whether I think it should remove any positional formatting.

Gargoyle likes this.