[Answered] Somebody posted using my handle in the forum I want to be liked

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by charlilo, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happened this night in the forum I want to be liked. Using words I never use, smilies I've never used, and acting like I've never acted. Go through the thread. I just got laughters from the likers when I protested against the intrusion.

Just before that, there had been a strange posting of sausages (!) calling itself a spam, and then a more personal one referring to me as a vegetarian, which I am not, but this is not the point. Both from a certain Canarsie, with whom I tried to initiate a conversation later on about that. A few minutes after, his profile had suddenly become private, but I had enough time to follow and keep track of his posts. I do not know if there is any link between both incidents.

Anyway my handle has been stolen for awhile. It is not good for MP, as it could happen to anybody else, in any other forum.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't understand. Did a new member register with a handle almost like yours? (perhaps substituting a number "1" for the letter "l". If so, they're gone; I checked the member name list, there are only about 7 or 8 with handles starting cha, and nothing cba, nothing similar to yours.

Did you leave yourself logged into a computer to which someone else had access?

As to Canarsie, if it was Canarsie posting, he makes elaborate puns but I have never seen him post an insulting or degrading comment ever.

3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that is exactly what happened.

This is what I posted that started the entire exchange:
    I have no idea what transpired from there on in that caused this discussion to be launched.

As for my profile, I never changed its preferences.

If someone else can figure it out for me so that I may better understand what is going on here, I would greatly appreciate it...

charlilo, Spangenberg, jackal and 2 others like this.
  4. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  5. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it was Sybil. If not we Shirley want to know. [​IMG]

samh004, Cholula and Gargoyle like this.
  6. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your answer, Weal Man. Here is mine to Mikel.

Thanks for answering, though I am not sure it is a private matter, I'd rather keep it private at this point. I take for granted you've read my very small thread. Sorry if my posting was bold, it was unintentional.​

Actually, my avatar had not been used. But disgraceful quotes from "me", that-is-to say using my handle, and not directed to me, were not from me at all. One or two were directed to men, in the quoting form (my real quotes had been changed I think, but still not sure). They have been removed from the forum since. But my protestations, with my avatar besides, are stil visible in the forum. I just do not have the ability to send you the links nor the posts. Can you go and see after 1:35 AM this morning. Remember the quotations from "me" are gone, only my reaction is still visible.​

I was alone in my own house, where I have three computers, none of them obviously unattended.​

Now my questions are: 1) How can you help? I wrote Canarsie right after that, and his profile suddenly changed to invisible, but only for awhile. This morning he answered. I would very surprised if the problem came from there. 2) After the beta period, where will we report such hacking practices? To the new Mods, or to the techs who are in the best place to work on that? 3) What is the level protection against what happened?​
    4) Can I change my handle
    re-report-of-stolen-handle.895/insert-reply data-optInOut="OptIn" jQuery1298439423372="37">

[​IMG]
    /milepoint.com/forums/conversations/re-report-of-stolen-handle.895/ type=hidden name=_xfRelativeResolver>

7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen once on FT. Someone made some really vulgar, disgusting, posts using my handle over the weekend (of course) and I immediately reregistered under another name and advised that those posts were not coming from me. Some of my close personal friends who were on line at the time were able to verify, by asking me some questions that only I could answer, that my new, temporary, handle really was me.

On the following Monday, the HOM took care of the posts and later, with the help of some of my very high-tech friends, we were able to determine that the posts had been made by the administrator of another site where I had foolishly registered using the same password that I had used on FT. I really was an internet newbie at the time. [​IMG]

charlilo and Gargoyle like this.
  8. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I am beginning to understand what is going on here, especially after you edited what you posted, charlilo, but please allow me to ask, just to be sure...

...are you saying that in the following exchange...
    ...the content posted under your milepoint.com name was not you?

Being a person who likes posting with a sense of humor, I figured you were simply posting in a similar form of levity as I was. However, if identity theft indeed transpired, that is a serious breach of privacy that must be addressed.

I have full confidence in the milepoint.com administrative team that this issue will be completely resolved.

9. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate your comment and support.

Punki likes this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies but this is a bit confusing to me. Here's what I know—nothing, absolutely nothing has happened on our end. No hacking, no other reports of misposts, etc. No log files that show any trace of actions outside of MilePoint. As Punki and others have offered advice, this is almost always a problem of something related to your activities elsewhere. Mikel will be more than pleased to assist you with a user name change, though it does not appear anyone here is worried about what you already are using. We all look forward to helping you.

charlilo likes this.
  11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least your exchange was funny and non-offensive. The posts made using my handle were truly gross. Either way it is very disconcerting to realize that your handle has been violated. :(

I would have recognized Canarsie's sense of humor even if he had posted as Santa Claus. :D :D

12. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for answering.The content you have posted here is actually from me. I appreciate conversation and I do not dislike that sense of humour. At that point, if I remember well, you vanished and right after some quotes from charlilo - not me - appeared, inside other member's posts, where she was saying under my handle such suggestive things as "You're the only one I want to like" with lots of smilies, and nobody listened to my protestations . I was wondering if there was any link between your appearance, our brief conversation , your disappearance and the intrusion of that false charlilo. I tried to reach you, and you know the rest. Sorry about the trouble.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The real giveaway is his Dangling Clause, but this one seems more a case of clause and effect.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If those were quotes, then the problem could be that the other poster simply edited the quotes, making it appear you said something else. Like this:

Is that what happened?

tomh009 likes this.
  15. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not talking about that exchange between Canarsie and I, which happened for real. I was talking about postings that disappeared . Randy just answered, it will remain a mystery. Thanks to all.

16. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and the funny part is that, due to the limited time I have had lately, I did not read the thread in question beyond that point, which only made this situation more confusing to me.

Well, at least it is good to know that I have not insulted you or exacerbated this issue. In fact, I hope you smiled as a result of what I posted. Nevertheless, I am at a loss at a moment as to figure out exactly what happened and how to bring this issue to its proper closure where you can post freely without worry or concern.
    Although there are currently no reindeer in the immediate vicinity of my home, does this mean that my humor is a cherished gift?
    Isn’t there a clause on milepoint.com restricting you from posting such stone-faced humor as that?

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can't fool me, mister, there ain't no sanity clause

[​IMG]

18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am the one taking over Milepoint userid's. I have currently taken over sobore's.
    I am willing to return it to him for the sum of.........One Millions dollars.
    [​IMG]

19. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know nothing about the XenForo bulletin board software which powers milepoint.com, but if that is indeed the case, an administrator should be able to review the edited content and find out for certain if misquoting by another milepoint.com member is indeed what happened.

If so, each milepoint.com member who misquoted charlilo should be made aware of what transpired as a result, at the very least. I do not believe disciplinary action would be warranted, as I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt. In fact, I would even consider the possibility that the alleged misquoting of charlilo is probably nothing more than an attempt at humor, originally intended to be harmless and with no deliberate intent to harm charlilo in any way.

Nonetheless, let’s see if this can indeed be definitively resolved so that it may be addressed much easier and more quickly in the future in case this scenario is ever repeated...

magic111, charlilo and Gargoyle like this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should have done your research first. Read "The Ransom of Red Chief". You're going to end up having to pay us to take sobore back.

sobore likes this.
  21. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looked like that, yes.

22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    OK, seems like someone was trying to be funny and made some changes to the quotes inside their posts, then later had second thoughts and removed those quotes. I think we now understand what happened, and as Canarsie pointed out, there may be an audit trail.

23. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:

24. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

Now, if nobody minds, let us get back to posting valuable, informative and even humorous information on milepoint.com in the attempt to make it the friendly and helpful community as envisioned.
    Well, then, I will attempt to keep spreading that gift whenever possible.

Just please keep in mind that there might be some collateral damage along the way in my wake, but if I can make even only one person laugh or smile, that simply makes my day and is well worth it.

Thank you for posting that, Punki. You have made me smile as a result.

Punki likes this.
  25. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks to you, and to all.