[Answered] Slooow - not just today, always

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by KyRoamer, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it is the ads. PLEASE give us a $10 buyout option like we have on FT.

Also, is there a fast way to go to last message posted not just last page?

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Clicking the little blue dot next to the thread subject takes you to the first message that you haven't read- it's a bookmark to your place in the thread.

If you select "mark this forum read" in the upper right of the forum display, the blue dot will then take you to the latest message in the thread. I don't believe you can mark individual threads as "read", only entire forums sections.

3. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder on ad free mcruiser. This is something that is very much on our internal list of things to implement, but I missed mentioning it on our master list. It is now listed. Thanks!

4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tim. BTW, this evening from home all seems very fast. Much more enjoyable when fast.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ads are not the problem IME. It is all the client-side javascript that bloats the render time. I really wish there were a light-weight version of the site. I don't need it to translate a post time of 5 minutes ago to "Moments ago" for me. I can figure that out pretty quickly by looking at the page. Lots of little things like that.

yosithezet likes this.
  6. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:

Yep, I noticed that to download a single page on my BB it takes something like 220K. All I wanted to do was see who won the iPad yesterday. Far too large of a download for a single page which doesn't even include the images.

Also, I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 and if I leave a few MilePoint tabs open for an hour or so the browser becomes unusable. How do I know that it is MilePoint and not one of the other tabs I have open? Because if I kill the browser and don't open MilePoint for a few hours, everything works fine. Once I open MilePoint the countdown begins.

I assume/realize this is an issue with XenForo rather than MilePoint, but it is really frustrating.

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Glad to hear it mcruiser! :)

A lightweight/more mobile friendly template is on our list for certain. :) In the mean time some settings that I can think of that changing will help your load time some:
    • Disable the rich text editor under preferences
    • Disable signatures under preferences
    yosithezet, what OS are you using when experiencing these FF problems?

8. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Windows 7 Enterprise

9. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crawling at the moment... ( 10:15 PST)
    I too have just changed my settings in Preferences to above suggestion, hoping it will help.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have disabled sigs already and it helps but not enough IMO.

I'll try the rich text editor next but I hate that there isn't a middle-class version that has some of the buttons to streamline the UBB without the WYSIWYG results. I asked for that in the beta forum (I think) and I'll repeat that request here again.

I can see the system bog down while loading the chat and while running the script to convert the time entries and stuff like that. Some days it is just annoying; other times it is downright brutal.

If I could just disable the chat wholesale instead of minimizing it, for example, I'm betting my system would be much happier.

Mackieman likes this.
  11. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've disabled the suggested stuff, but how am I going to include pics?

12. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Tim, can't see a noticeble change after disabling the above 2 suggestions.

yosithezet likes this.
  13. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to echo the comments of The One Who Wanders. While jquery can do some nifty things, just because it can doesn't mean that it should. I'm not sure how much customization was done and how much of it is XenForo natively, but the experience is overkill. To me, and I fully recognize that this is just my opinion, there is a happy medium between bare bones data output and completely obliterating the data during presentation with a bunch of flashy creative stuff. I think the page-level code handling the presentation of content is too heavy and does more than it should.

If XenForo is skinnable, and my understanding is that it is, I would love to see a second option that is user selectable that contains the same basic layout and formatting but with some of the bells and whistles, especially those handled by JavaScript at runtime, scaled back a bit.

sdm1130 and yosithezet like this.