[Answered] Quotes appearing in large font

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I've noticed that when I respond to a post by quoting it, sometimes the quote appears (still in the blue box) in a quite large font size, larger than my response. This does not happen consistently. (For an example, see what I just posted in the St. Petersburg thread in the Newbie area.) Could I be accidentally hitting some control key? Is there an easy fix when I notice that this has happened?

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great question! I was wondering the same thing.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad it's not just me being stupid. In the meantime, I've tried to go back to the posts that I was quoting when the anomaly occurred and I couldn't find anything strange that could be a code for big font.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I haven't seen this, I take it you can't link to a post like this?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at posts 20-24 in the "St Petersburg, Russia" thread in Newbies. It's currently about the sixth thread on the first page of Newbies. Some of the quoted messages show up funny on my computer in both Chrome and IE, using Windows XP Professional.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I looked in the code on those, and somehow [SIZE=4] was inserted inside the quotes.

BBCode sometimes has a mind of its own, and that seems to be the case here. :)

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    The original post is posted in a non standard font size (4) and that effects the quote in the example in the St Petersburg, Russia thread, so it would appear to have an effect on the text when quoted.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Tim and Gargoyle. It seems you have to open the BB code editor by clicking the upper left corner to see it. I was looking for a font size code around the quote/endquote stuff in the rich text editor version that I'm accustomed to using. I just managed to edit it down to the correct size in my quote by deleting the [SIZE =4] and [/SIZE] in my message. Changing 4 to 2.5 also seems to do the trick, but then the size codes stay in the quote that appears.

It looks to me like quoting reduces the font size automatically from the standard 3 to 2.5 on MP, but if the original is in a larger font size, that code needs to be deleted from the quoted passage to get the standard appearance. Changing the font size code in the quoted material manually to what it should be makes it the right size, but then the font size code can be seen in the quote.

I think I just learned something about how this works.