[Answered] Post Padders what to do about them ?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by QSG, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to say but the rush is on for status with post/thread padding already happening! I was hoping for new/different content on here, as opposed to copied threads from FT. Is this the direction that you, Randy, and your team wish this board to take?

roslyn, Puggie and milchap like this.
  2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You haven't seen the countdown from 123,456 thread. [​IMG]

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it upsets your sensibilities so much then I am happy to give back my - wait for it -- 5 or so posts in the countdown thread ... having posted over 100 in addition to add value to MP and started threads of interest on the AC forum I would have thought a little fun was in order? I guess that does not wash in your world! [​IMG]

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a valid observation.

Has anyone ever thought of a forum without any status levels? This might discourage the status hoarders and post padders.

violist likes this.
  5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the whole point of the "status points" system is that just posting a lot of relatively useless material will have little effect. On the other hand, if people just want to have fun as in the "countdown" or [​IMG] threads, I think that's in keeping with the spirit here. There always needs to be an opportunity to goof off some.

jonman21 and ACMM like this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with that kind of approach is that without an incentive for good contributions, you wind up with an system that rewards trolling because that will get you attention and keep the threads you participate in at the top of the page which is the only kind of reward on offer.

jonman21 and ACMM like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cannot say I agree 100% - I like being able to 'like' a post to say thanks for posting it. If that allows the poster to get some points toward a level, then so be it in my books :) I also like the fact when someone 'likes' one of my posts - it tells me that I did something to contribute to MP.

[Oops I hope this reply will not be viewed as post-padding QSG [​IMG]]

tomh009 likes this.
  8. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that about as much as possible has been done to give incentives for good content creation and community participation and to take away any "reward" for post padding. There will always be people for whom more is simply more (to quote a few of my illustrious friends) but we seem to have a system in place that encourages precisely the sort of behavior I imagine that the MP creators had in mind.

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't tell me that I contributed at all...I just tells me that someone liked what I posted. It is just a fancy way to say I agree.

10. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest that only one "like" per thread should count for status.

asmithLHR likes this.
  11. In the near term, I think building content.. however useless is key. Threads can be deleted later, but maybe the person who makes a stupid post in the 123,456 thread have provided valuable info too.

Ideally the ratio to your post count and likes should count more together than either individually.

12. In the near term, I think building content.. however useless is key. Threads can be deleted later, but maybe the person who makes a stupid post in the 123,456 thread have provided valuable info too.

Ideally the ratio to your post count and likes should count more together than either individually.

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    mtacchi: Are duplicate posts a form of post padding?[​IMG]

aitchly likes this.
  14. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's the point of the off-topic forums, it's for anything! if the admins want to exclude these forums from status-earnings or not, it would be up to them, I could understand both decisions.
    For sure there are ppl here who has 600+ status points and probably a 1000 posts since they joined a few days ago, and for sure all their posts aren't thoughful and aimed to help or add something useful. :D
    Personally, I couldn't care less, as I put more weight into what a person says and does, then whatever their status might be.

cockpitvisit, chrislacey and yankiwi like this.
  15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The clever thing about the status point system Randy & team have created is that those status levels are not directly tied to the number of posts; instead, they can develop and refine formulas and algorithms that weigh different activities and contributions differently. It's fairly simple now, but they have said this will be evolving. I personally have confidence that they can make this work well, and post padding will have limited impact in the long run.

tjc likes this.
  16. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am guilty of participating in the count down but only for fun. If there are no status points for "posting" and "liking" in a non travel forum or thread I would be perfectly fine with that. Status Points look nice a members profile, however I follow members based on the content of their posts and not on their Status Points.

17. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't have any problem with a mix of miles and points threads as well as "goofy" threads like the countdown threads or the three-word story threads. I enjoy contributing to each.

To build a successful community I think you need a mix of a wide variety of topics/threads as not everybody is interested in the same discussion. Also, I think the key is to keep the off-topic stuff segregated to a forum or two and thus far that has been happening here.

18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that is bad why? I think you can also view it as a contribution IMHO. But then I am a cat - so what do I know?[​IMG]

19. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    But not to be compensated for it!

20. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah its all about different tastes. Someone might like cholula on their tacos and another might like cholula in their stir fry. Too me a site that is like a grocery store is better than a restaurant. I can choose the aisles I want to walk down.

DYKWIA, party_boy, yankiwi and 6 others like this.
  21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Good day to you and welcome. If I could, I'd like to add something to your observation. You likely are not yet aware, but the focus on MilePoint is not on any post count as you might have experienced on other boards. We have developed an algorithm system that when fully implements on our launch March 1, will focus much more on the quality of the content and it is dynamic for how and where MilePoint grows in content. So while you may observe some activities which would lead you to believe it is on for some rush to status, it may not be serving that reason but merely be social interaction. Now, this is clearly a Beta. We have relaxed several of our algorithms because under normal situations, members are highly unlikely to reach any level of status in three weeks. However, unless we could put select members into those status levels, we would not know how the technology works properly to move them from level to level and as well how it communicates that same with them and as well how select benefits such as a private forum actually kicks in and how and where it might appear to the qualifying member. That's really what a beta is all about so framing it in that sense might provide slightly different view of things. As for some of the content. I'll actually defend some of that here. I'm not sure what you have objection to but it is our long term strategy to develop a complete Ignore system. So let's say you find a thread with a counting game as distracting, though those types of games are not allowed in the actual content areas, you will have the ability to Ignore, or block that select thread from your view of MilePoint. This type of customization will allow members to tune MilePoint to their desired level, all while allowing others to tune it different. As for the copied threads. The same process that would allow a member of any community, not just FlyerTalk to own and choose where to post their information is available to anyone. We hope to grow quality content here from the members knowledge. Recently a Moderator on another travel board asked me about moving their content here. My reply was along the lines that while he could possible do that if the rules of the other travel board allowed it, my advice to him was to just ensure it was his knowledge and that he was totally comfortable with his action. I felt and still believe that great content is still to be developed and that MilePoint was not beholden upon any singular act of knowledge. The point being that I have not encouraged any movement of copied threads and have tried to make sure that when asked, the member feels comfortable to their own principles. We will do fine without a single transfer from anywhere as many of our members have unfathomable amounts of knowledge still to be shared which has not been posted or written down. Now, back to perhaps a point you might have observed though please take no offense if i am overreaching here. In the area of games on MilePoint, whether they be a contest or some other game. During the growth of my experience in building travel services and communities, I was originally offset by their use and popularity. I'm here or there trying to build advice for the frequent flyer. And this was in the late 90s and early 00s. But I spent an inordinate amount of time understanding the what those games and contests were all about. it was about something that now is the buzz—social. Here's a perfect example and I'll use FlyerTalk if you don't mind. When i left FlyerTalk, I hosted a contest for a trip to the HOM (House of Miles), birthplace of both FlyerTalk and now MilePoint. There were no rules (friendly, no?). along the way of that contest, members formed a unique bond because of the dynamics of it. With rules to post once, members would post and walk away. what is the sense of community if you are not engaged? Along the way, members came out from behind the many forums they might usually hover in and discovered other members and other things. Many of these members bonded durting that contest (all formerly unknown to one another) and recently 42 of them had a dinner in SFO which I attended. I've got to say, I drank to kool-aid that evening. If you did not know you would think this group had been friends for at least 20 years (which would be older than some of those attending). Am amazing, and I say amazing amount of respect for each other at that event and the laughter and smiles will stay in my memory for many years to come. What does that have to do with this? Well, from just the interaction of some of those members who participated in that game with no rules, they formed likely what will be lifetime friendships. So while many years ago I looked upon some of these types of social interactions as an intrusion upon my personal goal to build relevant content for the frequent flyer, I learned very early on, what you may see is not always what is going on. I could not possibly think of taking that experience away from any of those 42 people at that event because I wanted rules.

I'd say that what you see in this Beta has some of the foundations of our future—friendly, inclusive, knowledgeable, helpful, social, personal and relevant to your life's aspirations of travel. As well, some of what you see is merely the function of an open beta where you open things up for test and measure. My goal right now is committed to technology and making sure to works for you. What you see is the foundation for the 70% of work we have left to do with MilePoint. The direction of MilePoint is not solely decided in the Beta, the direction will be in the future when the efforts to create a new travel community finally blossom.

Might I ask something of you? If you don't mind, I'll look in on the content you contribute here on MilePoint to take a lead in something new/different for us. Looking forward to you helping us find the right way to build great content. Thank you.

22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you are not a cat - astr[​IMG]ophe !!!!

23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And I must say, I'm enjoying being one of your guinea pigs in this experiment!
    [​IMG]

BTW, I agree with what you say about the games having the ability to build a community. Many of us tend to get isolated in our little islands of the internet, and islands within islands (e.g. one forum in one board), and games, lounge threads, etc., can reach across those boundaries.

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The more freedom, the better, IMHO.

The thing I remember most from the very early days of FT is the amazing sense of community. I happened to stumble on the the site (the first BB I had ever seen) and was so excited to find such a smart, funny and friendly group of people. We all had a ball in those early days and the site kind of grew around the people and their knowledge. I, for one, learned so much that I can't even begin to tell you, and was lucky enough to make some truly wonderful lifetime friends whom I never would have had any other opportunity to meet. They have certainly enriched our lives.

So, I say let it flow and see what it becomes. With smart, funny, open-minded people contributing their knowledge and joyful spirit, it can't help but be a success.

Tim and Gargoyle like this.
  25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now there is a new avatar idea! :)