[Answered] Option to disable pictures / images

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by kiwi, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there an option on MP for users to disable images?

Sometimes when travelling internet connections are very slow and it would be a shame to have problems accessing MP due to images taking forever to load.

FT has an option to toggle images on or off and this works very well for me.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 Great idea

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In the meantime, a workaround would be to install a separate iteration of a browser (it might need to be a different brand of browser, if settings turn out to be global) and disable images in that browser. Then just use that one for MP when on the road.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a solution if using lounge computers.

BondAir007 and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    agreed, it's an awkward and limited work-around. They should add the functionality to XenForo.

6. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    It sounds like this fits under the idea of a light weight template that has been talked about some. I have just added this to the master list. Thanks.

BondAir007, kiwi and Gargoyle like this.
  7. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar question. I frequently access the internet via a satellite connection. That means delays in transmission and acknowledgement are a problem (think VPN issues). The FT site has ads that involve changing images - that drives my system to a crawl, trying to accomodate all the incoming ad images at the same time it is trying to deliver content to me. So I would ask that you keep that in mind as you strive for advertising revenue. Have some provision to limit the type of images/processes. FT is useless to me when on satellte because of this. Thanks!

Gargoyle and misman like this.
  8. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    bonnerbl, thanks for the feedback. We to think pretty hard about when and where to add and advertisement when we do. I'm sure you have noticed how many fewer ads are present here than on a lot of other bulletin boards out there.

Since lots of images seem to cause you problems you might want to consider disabling the signatures displaying and possibly the rich text editor.