[Answered] MP sluggish/nonresponsive

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For roughly the last day or so MP has been very slow and nonresponsive. I use Chrome with Windows XP Professional and the same hardware, software, and internet connection I've been using. Rebooting helped only a tiny bit. Other websites don't seem to be having the same problem, or at least not to the same extent and other websites on IE are fine.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I haven't noticed any slowness as of recently on MP, sounds like you have done a full restart and that is the first thing I would suggest. It sounds like you might be having some problem on other sites from they way you have written your post, you could try restarting your router and/or modem if you have the ability to do that as well.

3. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had quite a bit of delay and sluggishness today on MP - using Safari, on a fairly new Mac --- other sites do not seem to be slowing down ---

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't experienced any problems mobile or using Chrome on Windows 7.

5. Paul D

Paul D Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on your concern - and introduce myself: I'm a systems administrator for milepoint! As always, I'd like to hear about any technical issues that users are having on the website.

Regarding responsiveness, however, I checked out some of the tools we use to monitor milepoint and it looks like things are running pretty smoothly. In fact, response time is solid and page load time looks great. I've included a couple charts to help demonstrate why I'm saying that.

However, there are a great many factors that can affect page load time across the Internet. Anything from DNS (your computer going to to look up milepoint.com) to your router cache tables, to your ISP. Perhaps it's a full browser cache - or a plugin leaking memory in Firefox or IE. Needless the say, the list of possibilites is endless.

A few tips:
    1. Take a look at this extension for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fploionmjgeclbkemipmkogoaohcdbig?hl=en-US#. Install it, run a few page loads and check out the times. If they're unreasonably long, clear your cache, cookies, and DNS cache.
    2. Try doing some pings @ the milepoint.com domain and see if your response time is unreasonably high (greater than 2 or 3 seconds) versus an adjacent website hosted in the NE US.
    3. Check out your nameserver times. DNS can be a huge time-waster for pulling up websites - and I prefer to check by using Namebench (http://code.google.com/p/namebench/). It will take a look at your current settings and see if you can benefit from moving to another DNS provider.
    4. Try a speedy browser! Firefox 4/5, Chrome 12, IE 9, Opera 11.5, and Safari 5 are all pretty quick - but plugins can drastically zap your browsers memory and speed. Take a look and see if you're running any notoriously slow plugins (Firebug, Ad-blockers).
    Certainly, let us know when things aren't working out as they should.

Hope this helps!

Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 4.59.23 PM.png Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 5.01.18 PM.png

tom911, Gargoyle and bakedpatato like this.
  6. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it was a AWS hiccup?

7. Paul D

Paul D Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, it certainly could be, but I won't point the finger at Amazon just yet. They're a pretty fantastic provider of web services (minus that little hiccup in the NE availability zone, where we happen to be located) and have proven to be very responsive.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

What do you mean by "pings" in #2? Just try to open MP in a new window?

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope... he literally means "ping" it. It's a command line tool that does exactly what it sounds like... you "ping" a site and wait for the response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

The syntax varies slightly by platform, but you can generally just issue the ping command with the site as the argument and it will report back how long it took to ping the site and whether or not any attempts failed. If you figure MP is running slow/sluggish, a ping test can generally determine if there's significant latency somewhere along the way, although that's just step 1 in a long series of troubleshooting steps. :)

Assuming you ping the site and the connection is solid (say 50-100ms if you're in NA), then you can look elsewhere for the problem -- namely your own machine or browser.

Of course this would all be fine and good assuming milepoint.com would answer ICMP request, which apparently it does not. Let's see how long before this turns into a full-on geekathon.

10. Paul D

Paul D Silver Member

Status Points:

And as it does not - and I had wrongly assumed it did - I'll retract that ping statement. I'll likely turn it on here.

On a side note, as we're always trying out new things -- milepoint should be zooming along as we try a new service (CloudFlare) to help balance the load out a bit more evenly. Apparently it's a great product: Just ask LulzSec!

viguera likes this.
  11. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked CloudFlare + lulzsec up...brought a smile to my face as i'm sure they were afraid of The Jester attempting to DDoS them into submission ;)