[Answered] MP locking up…

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by PSUhorty, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    My issue with MP (and so far as I can see, the only major issue at this point) is that site locks up after about 5-10 minutes of browsing. This happens to me every time I surf it. I might be perusing a long thread over 10 pages and I only get to page 5 or so before the site locks up on me and eventually relegates itself to “Internest Explorer cannot display this webpage”. Very frustrating.
    I can happily browse around the rest of the internet in the meantime. If I return to MP to soon, I get the same thing immediately.
    Anyone else experience this?

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be the ceviche?

I'm using Firefox and haven't experienced that problem, but I think I've seen someone else reference somewhere on there that FF gets loaded up when there are too many images. Could these be similar issues? Buehler? Anyone?

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am using FF and have not seen the phenomenon. What I know does happen with FF is that it leaks memory very badly so if I have many tabs open eventually firefox.exe is using almost 1G of memory and it becomes very very veeeeeeeeery slow. Maybe something similar is happening for you?

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ironically MP locked for the first time for me, on this topic.

5. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using IE8 on W7 x32 and have never ever had lock.

6. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No lockup here. Move right along... nothing to see here.

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had that problem with Safari on Mac. OP, what are your IE and OS versions? That info will help the dev team to reproduce the issue.

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    No issues with FF today. Occasionally things get slow... but nothing more troublesome.

9. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:
    Thanks, bro.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Windows Vista/IE7 (or maybe 8, dunno).
    My feeling is that it has more to do with my laptop rather than MP, given the responses.

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that was my issue yesterday.

Kaanapali likes this.
  12. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday it locked up on Chrome using Vista (I know I know....[​IMG][​IMG]). But IE on Vista was fine?? [​IMG]

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was chrome on XP. but for some reason my machine locks/slows every 3 hours.

Kaanapali likes this.
  14. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    But when you reboot it is fine...yes?

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Takes more time to reboot than to just wait it out. but yes. better.

Kaanapali likes this.
  16. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience too with Vista. So I guess it does not depend on whether XP or Vista...maybe it is Chrome + MP + Old Windows operating systems that is the problem [​IMG]

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    With Safari, I have had a few slow downs, not much at all, and one lockup-shutdown a few days ago - it was weird. But I rebooted fine, and pretty much okay since then.

Tenmoc likes this.
  18. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Running Win7 Premium with Firefox. I'm getting slowdowns in MP. Specifically as I type this it halts the typing for awhile and then dumps everything I've typed on. Almost like I'm typing faster than the system can deal with; which is impossible I promise you.

19. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    From what has been posted so far these symptoms sound like they are most likely cases where the computer in question has a little too much going on at one time and is having a hard time keeping up with it. That fits in with the restart, coming back and it working fine after you do as well. I see the same sort of behavior on many sites in FF and Safari on Mac when I when I have had either of the two programs open for an extended period of time. (usually days) We will keep an eye out here still to make sure there isn't something wrong on the site still of course.

Thanks for the reports guys.

20. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    In some cases you might be right, but I'm watching the memory usage for Firefox climb very fast just having MP open. It opened using 86,000k and has climbed to 120,000k. Before I killed Firefox and reopened it was at 600,000k. That doesn't seem right.

For reference I run a Intel Core i5 2.53Ghz with 4Gb or RAM. I can run full SQL databases on this machine without a problem. I'll try with Chrome and see what is happening, but I wonder if something isn't leaking.

Kaanapali likes this.
  21. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I run about the same Intel Core processor with same amount of RAM. Interestingly sometimes MP runs better on IE when Chrome is open as opposed to just running by itself (this seems quite counterintuitive to me)

22. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a bit counterintuitive. Incidently, I'm watching a slow but steady increase in memory in Chrome. Nothing on the order of Firefox. Some of it I'm sure is because my Chrome doesn't have the ad blockers that my Firefox has. Still the core Chrome process has increased its memory footprint by 7000k.

Kaanapali likes this.
  23. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny...in strange way...that you mentioned AdBlockers. Before I got Adsbegone....Chrome worked fine. Now that I have it...it does not. Maybe that is the culprit for Chrome. Still does not explain IE though.

24. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it isn't the Twitter api. I'm running in K-Meleon now and it doesn't have the support for that. The page is on continual load right now trying to resolve the Twitter address. That being said, the growth of memory usage is much smaller. Unlike Chrome where I just came to this thread I have hopped around to several threads and boards and only seen a growth from 29,000K to 50,000K. Then with the built in Ad Blocker on I've only added 1,800K to that.

25. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having lock-up problems chronically now. I'm running IE8 with Vista and happens in both the MSN browser window as well as the traditional Explorer window. It seems to get worse as threads get longer. If I try to scroll through a thread or click on the next page I frequently see "dell not responding" in the title bar and after 5-15 seconds suddenly the site starts to work again but usually the post box hasn't finished loading. I also get an error msg frequently that a script is running that will make my system slow with a yes/no choice. It's so serious now that I can hardly use the site without a problem.