[Answered] Misleading Info on Status Help Page or Bug in Software?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by JALPak, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Below is the screen capture from the status help page (http://milepoint.com/forums/help/trophies).

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 2.36.13 PM.png

It says, "Earn enough status points and you will be promoted to a new status level, and will receive benefits associated with that level."

My interpretation is that once you have earned enough status points, you will be promoted to the next level. In other words, if the Gold threshold is 1000 status points, any members who have earned 1000 status points will be awarded the Gold Status no matter when and how they have earned it.

However, it doesn't look like that's the case. Below are the screen captures of a few members. Westsox was awarded Gold Status yesterday while Gaucho was awarded that today and both have above 1000 status points. But on the other hand poor Gargoyle has 10,000 status points and joined on the same day as Westsox is still a Silver Member only, and so are a lot of other members such as fumitani, Chimpy, and MSPeconomist.

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 2.41.33 PM.png Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 2.40.52 PM.png Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 2.41.46 PM.png

So is this a bug in the software or the info in the help page is misleading? Or there's a double standard and the requirements for certain members are different? Either way, please fix the problem. I don't want the members to be misled and be disappointed.

Thank you!

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if status can be achieved via points or the algorithms running in the background?

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the help page, points should be the only requirement. That's why I think it's misleading if that's not the case.

If they have different status point requirements for different members at the same moment, that's a different story. But I am cool with that if they say so in the help page although some might think that's discrimination.

Horse, NewbieRunner, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Gold status line is obviously worded incorrectly.....

The original quotations reads "Members who achieve Gold Status...." making it sound like all you needed to do was get points
    Apparently.....it should have been detailed as "Members who are awarded Gold Status..." thereby showing that there is a manual decision involved....and that it is not about getting points (or just getting points) ;)

GreatTypo, Chimpy, sobore and 3 others like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Gargoyles and Chimps aren't people, so it is OK to discriminate against them; they have a different neural structure and aren't impacted by these issues. Economists, Accountants, and University Scholars, on the other hand, count things in a very logical, linear structure, so they might become emotionally distressed. Their feelings need to be taken into consideration.

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it sounds like there's a manual decision involved as you pointed out in the other thread that the members were awarded at non 40 min past the hour time. So is this just like a status match or fast track program to status? If so, please tell us where to sign up so people can start making their cases. It's unfair if they are just picking the members they recognize unless they read every single post on milepoint and then make the decision!

Horse, NewbieRunner, charlilo and 5 others like this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either way, I am cool with that as long as the rules are clear.

Horse, NewbieRunner, charlilo and 6 others like this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about beaches? :p

charlilo, Chimpy, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Seeing how it is ultimately meaningless, I really hope no one gets hung up on "fairness" issues.

Life is a beach.

10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I was hoping the additional MP promotional gift would be meaningful :p

Only when you are going to or are already at.....one ;)

11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it's not up to me to decide. There will certainly be some members in the community that will think that way. Why do that when there's a simple way to fix the problem and set everything strict. A simple change to the help page will do. Just say something like "we will award status to whoever we want at our own discretion and here is the way to contact us for that or you can earn enough status points to attain it" (although the current requirement isn't published and the member with the highest status point is still not high enough for the highest published status and the member isn't not earning any more status points through posts/likes after achieving 10000 posts and likes :p)

Horse, Chimpy, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't count on it :rolleyes:

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  13. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes &
    Yes

Horse, Chimpy, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In any case, congratulations to Fiji, Gaucho, and Westsox (plus any other newly-minted Gold that I might have missed).

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yea Congratulations to them. I didn't mean to disrespect those new Gold members (and sorry I didn't mean to exclude you from the list Fiji :p) Their gold status is well deserved IMHO, just like how other members deserve some kind of recognition too. Gargoyles has been everywhere welcoming new people and building content. AND he socialize a lot with other members to build the community. I still remember he's the one who tried to reach out to me when I first became a Silver Member. Without him, I would have just stayed on the JAL forum :)

sterno24, flyingdawg, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  16. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the a) Congratulations to those who have been awarded Gold as well as b) statement that other members...like Gargoyle ....I hope are at least being considered for Gold. A lot of us newly minted silvers back in Beta were invited by Gargoyle to a forum thread welcoming us...and encouraging us to post in many different places.

Freddie Listo, Horse, kwai and 7 others like this.
  17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why if they are awarding status manually, there should be at least a way for us to nominate others or ourselves (if we are shameless enough :p). No way they know everything happening on MP unless they are monitoring every moves of us which would be scary :eek:

Horse, sterno24, charlilo and 2 others like this.
  18. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting!

Horse, Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimps have feelings too, as do cats and dogs, and even ostriches.

Freddie Listo, DanJ, kwai and 7 others like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very happy about JALPack, Fiji, Westsox and Gaucho. From purely personal bias Gaucho helped me enormously learning the ropes at the other place and is doing great work here. Deserved.

OTOH, I would not be here at all wer it not for Gargoyle. He has helped me, everybody else, contributed enormously. He out to be Platinum by any measure I can imagine.

I do agree the issue is knowing the rules and having them administered as stated. I can live with whatever rules, as long as they're stated.

Freddie Listo, Horse, kwai and 7 others like this.
  21. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you are now a guide on here. Congrats!

kwai, sterno24, charlilo and 3 others like this.
  22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, that's been in the works for a few days, but things need to get added on and rolled out a bit at a time.

Personally I think I'm more of a Guido than a Guide, but I'll try to fill whatever role I can.

23. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like what I hear!

sterno24, charlilo, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats Gargoyle.

25. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! :p

on the guiding... do you need to tip the Guide?