[Answered] milepoint = another forum site?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by EndlosLuft, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

As someone who designs web based applications I know how hard it is to build something so I am happy to the many little improvements you are making with milepoint.

But I have to say that for a complete new venture this site and your vision is far from revolutionary or visionary.

Discussion is obviously a central part of websites like Flyertalk so providing forums is one of several key features that you need to provide. Your fine in this area.

But completely missing is without the doubt the most important element of today. Locations!

After all milepointers will be going from place to place, visiting restaurants, staying in Hotels, currently be at an airport, on a particular flight. How in a structured way (and please don't tell me that's a forum or thread) can people share and provide feedback around a specific place?

There are many little improvements but I think you are missing the much bigger picture and are just
    asking for someone to leapfrog this site.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually you'll be pleased to know that we have been chatting and testing a location-based mobile application that will provide a "radar" if you like for our members when traveling and we are considering awards associated with that. gives members a chance to meet and greet at airports and beyond. We also are certainly aware of the location based efforts by Gowalla for example in the travel space. What you see is about a month's worth of real work (Release Candidate 1 of this software was just January 20) and there are plenty of places we're heading. So while it may appear we are missing the bigger picture and have no vision, we're really moving along fairly well so far. And if you have any doubts, please contact me and I'll provide a link to some of the many different location technologies we are working with right now and you may see one of them at our launch on March 1. Thanks for you interest and hopefully you'll help up build this out.

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I for one am looking forward to the location based mobile apps.

Not that I travel that much, but when I do I would like to have the option to easily arrange to meet other travelers with similar interests... whether to grab a coffee, have lunch or go sightseeing together. As I mentioned in another post that's how I use CouchSurfing (both when I travel domestically or abroad) and as a local showing tourists around Manhattan. Its an amazing thing to have a local "friend" to help you around when you go somewhere for the first time or a hundredth time!

4. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. But I can already tell you that your data needs to be structured differently if you want true integration between discussion and locations.

No sense having a fragmented mobile application that can't identify when something was discussed.

But enough arm chair criticism -- I know how hard it is to build and how easy it is to criticize. :)

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My son and his fiancee have used that site, and it worked out great. I've sometimes made a point of looking up people I've met on line for a cup of coffee or dinner, and it's been great; but it's been haphazard. The idea proposed here could be a very nice addition.