[Answered] Limit dictionary popup to single words

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    lin821 and iolaire like this.
  2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that the obnoxious thing that pops in the top right corner if you highlight anything? Can you just get rid of it entirely? Please :p

lin821, Gargoyle and richinaz like this.
  3. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 +2 +3 ...
    It serves no useful purpose. If I need to search for something I'd rather highlight it and do a right click search with google in a new tab.

lin821, IMGone and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Some phrases do actually return a definition, so we likely won't limit it to single words. That said, we made the choice to still show a message when the length of the selected word/area was beyond our limits that we chose in order to let new people who down know about the functionality know about its existence.

From my experience right clicking a word still gives the option of "search google for X". What browser/browser version/OS are you using where you don't see this? Thanks.

lin821 likes this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is this a limited time thing and then you'll get rid of the box? For someone who uses the real estate like I do, that little box covers text I'd much rather be reading (and I can get into what to call it, but will limit it to just annoying here ;) ). I think it is really, really important to note that people do not only highlight things to do a search/look up on the data, but there are other reasons, including just to help them focus while reading or to save the place on the page.

I don't see the google search option when I am composing a message, the google search is on the pull down (right click) when I am just reading a thread and highlight something. This browser is IE 8 under XP

lin821 likes this.
  6. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    That wasn't the intention, that doesn't mean that there is no chance that things will change either though.

This is also the case in IE 9 as well, though from my limited testing it appears to me that text within a textarea input field is behaving as would be expected in this case.

lin821 likes this.
  7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but you know where I stand on this one ;)

lin821 likes this.
  8. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was using FF5.0 and Windows XP (work machine so my options are limited.

I don't know if someone has changed anything but it seems to function a bit better now.

I can highlight a word by double clicking it and then right clicking eventually brings up the search google for "highlighted word". It just seems to pause/hesistate before the menu occurs. Or sometimes I have to right click a couple of times. If seems like the definition thing preempts the other pop up menu so I have to wait for the definition thingy before right clicking.

lin821 likes this.