[Answered] Let's keep this forum and not have a Talkboard ...

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Raffles, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the things that has always thrown me about FT is the Talkboard. It takes itself ludicrously seriously (see the historic debates about drawing up the TB rules etc) and then has exceptionally painful procedures for votes for crazily simple stuff over, for eg, whether the BMI forum should be called bmi British Midland International - Diamond Club or bmi - Diamond Club, or indeed whether new forums should be created or old ones removed. And, of course, at the end of the day it has no more real impact on how FT works than a kangaroo parliament.

So, here is my thought for the day. Let's keep this forum, or something similar, going. We can post interesting ideas here, and then Randy can have a look at them and - if he likes them - action them. And if doesn't, he won't. No voting, proposals, seconding, abstentions, discussions in secret forums etc. Stuff either happens or it doesn't. A generous dictatorship, as it were. If nothing else, it will save MP from the torturous political processes than come to dominate some corners of FT.

willyroo, Disco Volante and CT-UK like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the comments and we share a like of the idea. I have posted elsewhere that we will not have a Board as you might be familiar with. And understand, it's not that it is not a good idea, it is just that we are in another place at this time. Face it, when I started FlyerTalk, there were no roadmaps or best practices or anything related to what we were building. And I had no experience running a forum. The Board was a good—even great—idea to help formulate the growth of that forum. Fast forward, lessons learned and more confidence in my knowledge base. I think I can make faster decisions and there will likely be far less decisions needed to be made since there are relatively few things i haven't seen in all these years. As much as at first i did not care for my moniker of Benevolent Dictator, I now am ready to assume that role and when my head gets to big for the crown, I'm sure our members will tell me or at least hint, "off with the head." Again thanks and appreciate your trust in my decisions on behalf of you and our other members.

Bizi likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There goes my presidental bid. [​IMG]

4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually Raffles I think you have a very good point it think the TB could be taken too seriously

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I said in the Off Topic forum, and it is even more relevant here (for my thoughts on the matter):

My few centavos. This is like a benevolent dictatorship, owned, ruled, and operated by others. The ruling junta wants a happy populace, welcomes, values, and invites input, and will let its subjects misbehave from time to time, but ultimately, is the judge, jury, and jailer. Most of us know the boundaries of civil society. Some of us don't. Some of us go over it from time to time, but generally are decent. If things need to get deleted from time to time, so be it. I hope this place doesn't need to invest in a huge RV lot, even though there are a glut of them on the auction market. And we know that the leader of junta is familiar with en masse RV operations. As for myself, I'm going to enjoy the ride, and if I crack that new bottle of Pisco open, I'll start a "posting while not entirely sober" thread.​

mowogo likes this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lack of a talkboard makes it so that those of us not a part of the core group feel that we have our input heard, instead of just those who really know all of the leadership

cockpitvisit and philcape like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why the brainstorming/bootcamp sessions are great, and I plan on attending one.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I don't like how much people seem to expect of you. I know you are incredibly generous with your time (and more) but I worry you will get swamped with minutae in assuming this role.

willyroo likes this.
  9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with monarchy isn't that it's always bad, it's the distribution of outcomes. Great kings are really good for everyone and bad kings are horrible for everyone.

Since we really don't need to worry about the next king, I'm good being a subject of king Randy. [​IMG]

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Having served on the Talkboard for 7 years and as its President for 5, I actually rather like the idea of not having such a body here on Milepoint. [​IMG]

willyroo, Bizi, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's about as strong an endorsement for Randy's plan as we can hope for!

mowogo likes this.
  12. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting, though I think I'll just let that rest.

I agree that at the moment, this place has a blue sky atmosphere and we can feel not constrained by past actions or decisions which occurred elsewhere, although we can be aware of what happened historically.

A fresh start looks good, so thanks for being a part of the solution. :)

philcape likes this.
  13. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to the experienced and talented people who have been working and thinking hard to improve the experience of our community.

May you enjoy this and continue with this fresh thinking. :)