[Answered] Kiva should have its own subforum under Community

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by KyRoamer, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main Kiva thread (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/milepoint-kiva-team-lending-team-on-kiva-org.2185/) has over 840 replies and 10 times as many views. A review of that thread shows many different ideas, but they get lost in the numbers. I'd like to see us be more readily able to start Kiva threads for Newbies, for those interested in loans in Africa, for challenges, and more.

Where we could do that in Community by always including Kiva in the title, a separate forum will have greater appeal and serve as a tool to encourage more Milepointers to make loans through Kiva. What with managements already proven support of the Kiva program, giving it its own subforum seems a good way to make kiva stand apart and to help it grow.

2. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea mcruiser. I agree with you and was thinking this myself today. It would also make it much easier to find especially for potential new members to the team. It seems to get lost in the subforum that it is presently in.

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me add my vote for this as well :)

milchap, nime01, Horse and 3 others like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea.
    Another possibility might be a sub-forum for all Milepoint charities. Something like the "Milepoint Cares" sub-forum.

nime01, jbcarioca, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  5. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that is a tremendous idea.

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I certainly don't disagree. Some of the solution will be in the re-designed FlyForward/Cares page (we were without a designer for a month and lost a little time). It's a nice challenge to have. We've got some similar things coming up with our support for Susan G. Komen Foundation and Livestrong. Thanks for the input, it's quite rewarding to see the attention on our members efforts.

nime01, Horse, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a wonderful idea. Could we have the FlyForwardCares as a forum too, with the specific charities as a sub-forum? We really urgently need teh Kiva one because there are so many different conversations and threads, mostly active and growing that we do urgently need better organization.

We also could use those for managing the various matching and other promotional activities we have now and will have in the future. As an additional pitch for urgency we already have 1/2 percent of all registers MilePoint members just on Kiva! That is unheard of IMO except in very mature groups. MilePoint is clearly different already. That difference is demonstrated in part by the commitment we have to betterment of the lives of others.

So, please:
    FlyForwardCares Forum now and sub-forums for each charity. We will make this work well.

Thanks to mcruiser for the idea!!

nime01 and miles and smiles like this.
  8. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Susan B. Komen Foundation raises over $273 million a year, over 80% of which is used for program purposes. Livestrong (Lance Armstrong Foundation) raises almost $42 million in revenue, over 83% of which goes to programs.

I give to both and my office sponsors walks and other activities for both but I am not sure either is the best use of our limited resources. I would suggest forming a MAD (make a difference) panel to screen projects that are not just worthy but where what we do will make a difference.

Let me give one example - National Safe Place (http://www.nationalsafeplace.org/homepage.shtml). On its web site it explains

Safe Place is a national youth outreach program that educates thousands of young people every year about the dangers of running away or trying to resolve difficult, threatening situations on their own. This easily replicated community initiative involves the whole community to provide safe havens and resources for youth in crisis.​

Safe Place creates a network of "Safe Place locations" - youth friendly businesses, schools, fire stations, libraries, YMCAs and other appropriate public buildings that display the distinctive yellow and black Safe Place sign. In many communities the local transit system takes part, designating buses as mobile Safe Place sites.​

These Safe Place sites extend the doors of the youth emergency shelter or youth service agency throughout the community. Youth are easily able to access immediate help wherever they are.​
    Most Safe Place agencies reach out to youth between the ages of 12 to 17 years old. Some agencies serve younger youth.​

Started in Louisville Kentucky some 30 years ago by the YMCA, and now with affiliates in most states, tens of thousands of youth benefit each year. Revenue pinches at the state and local levels have severely affected funding and our help would make an immediate difference.

I mention it because I was active for a number of years in its Louisville affiliate (http://www.ymcasafeplaceservices.org/about-us/) and am familiar with the good it does and its struggle for dollars. However, because we are a diverse group I have recommended supporting the National Safe Place not its Louisville affiliate.

Please do not think that I do not appreciate what the two large cancer organizations do. I just think we need to start smaller but with something that affects us all -- the safety of our youth.

Freddie Listo, nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enthusiastically agree with mcruiser about the MAD idea. Just to add a slight but of international flavor to the specifics I am a strong supporter of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières. Their US arm uses 85% of total funds in programs, only 15% for administration and fundraising. They always are there wherever human disasters are present and they do manage to provide critical health care when most of the world cannot or does not care to get involved. I think that we can support several efforts, probably four or five, and based on past comments from Randy I think he agrees with that. if he does not I am sure he will say so.

There are a number of issues to consider here, not least of which is that MilePoint is a privately owned enterprise and we, as interested parties, not shareholders, want to influence the direction of MilePoint. I do think we should do that, but we must always remain aware that we do not have votes, just influence. If the shareholders can support a MAD I would be delighted. After all, we are the primary contributors, even though the basis for our common interest was invented by other people, for which we should be grateful.

10. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doctors Without Borders is a fabulous organization and does, as jbcarioca mentions, reflect the international nature of our members. It too is a $100 million dollar plus organization, but its top paid official is paid just $166,700. With most organizations of that size, the senior executives earn much more.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing we are doing in MilePoint that I have not often seen elsewhere is concentrating our effort to make sure we get the maximum "bang for the buck", as you demonstrate here. It may be a side effect of our obsession with miles and points. It may be something else. Whatever it is it contributes greatly to the pleasure of contributing with other MilePointers. People here simply do not just "lend and forget". That is another reason why we need the forum, because we are so involved in what we're doing together.

KyRoamer and kellio like this.
  12. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No thumbs up so all I can say is - Amen!!!

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy MilePoint Monday! It's been done. There's now a Flyforward forum in Community with a subforum for our Kiva team.

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Randy!

MSPeconomist and milchap like this.
  15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it will take the rest of the day and maybe a bit more to completely finish various thread/post mergers, moves and deconstructing larger threads. Thanks.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were the various MilePointMonday threads that appeared yesterday morning around MP (AA, DL, SPG, and one other hotel chain, perhaps Hyatt, IIRC) deleted early this morning or are they hiding somewhere within the new Kiva subforum?

17. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    soft deleted to a storage place given that this weeks MilepointMonday is over ... worked pretty well it seemed. We're going to just take a single one and move the various comments from any others into the single thread so that no one's comment is deleted. Hope that makes sense and thanks for the support of MilepointMonday.

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thus spake a master of understatement. Thanks.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sure does make sense.

It's nice to see that MilePointMonday was such a success.