[Answered] Jump to first new post default

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Travel2Food, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears that clicking on a thread title takes you to the first new post. I sure like having the option of going either to start of thread OR first new post.

Am I missing something? Is the behavior adjustable?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the go to first unread post feature. Save me some time trying to figure out where I left of last time :)

travelingmore and Grace like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Click on the blue dot to the left of the topic name to go directly to the first unread post.

4. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clicking on the title takes you to the first unread, not just the blue dot. OP wants to have the option to start at the beginning.

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they could change it such that clicking the blue dot will bring you to the OP instead? It's harder than clicking the title but most people probably want to go to the first unread instead IMHO.

WilCo likes this.
  6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. On FT I would frequently click on the person's name instead of the blue down arrow.

I guess it comes down to how flexible XenForo is. Apparently this platform is just in 1.0.0 so we are beta testing the platform and the site.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    After some experimenting I see the blue button and thread have slightly different functionality.

Clicking on the blue button takes to the first unread post in that thread.
    Clicking on the thread title takes to the first post made since the last time logged out.

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is too complicated for a dummy like me [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay logged in (I do), clicking on the title seems to take you to the first unread post.

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wierd things are happening for me. It no longer jumps to first unread post whether I click the blue dot or on the title.[​IMG]

11. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    perhaps it depends on where you click. if it says latest message, you go to the end . . . but if you are in the forum listing and click the title, first unread

12. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    This should be configurable at a minimum. There are lots of threads, for example: Master list of Delta Promotions, or Delta SkyClub Meeting Thread where I don't care about the chatter, I just want to see the first post over and over again.

Personally, I prefer the blue dot to go to the newest post and the thread title to go the to the first post.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For reference information, we'll likely have wikis available rather than sticky threads; the threads will really be for discussion, so the default of going to the first new post should be OK most of the time.

JALPak likes this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But for most of the threads you would usually go to the first unread post. That's why I prefer the more convenient way, i.e. clicking title, to go to the first unread instead :)

tomh009 likes this.
  15. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. It's actually pretty nice in *most* situations. How about we make the blue dot go to the first post then? :)

I just would like some way to get to the first post in one click.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Initially I had been assuming that the last three page numbers that display were related to the page of the last post. Now I know how to do it right. Thanks.

17. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can jump to the first post in any thread by clicking the thread start date, immediately below the thread title.

This was one of the features I personally had the most trouble adjusting too when we first began working with this software. Now I rather like it, but it does take some getting used to.