[Answered] Is there an option to deactivate or delete an account?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by JALPak, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if for whatever reason, a member wants to delete or deactivate his/her account, would this be an option?

2. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Leaving so soon? [​IMG] You only just got here!

Jokes aside this is an interesting question. It presumably also links to the changing handles debate as someone may wish to rejoin later.

3. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was curious about this as well in case I decide to make my handle on here different than my FT handle

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what would happen to the contents I posted if I choose to deactivate/delete my account assuming that's an option.

No I am not leaving yet although I found it extremely counter productive to hang out here and I might need to check in myself into rehab soon if this continues :eek:

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some of this could just be a housekeeping issue. Some people accidently created an account with their real name, then rectified that by creating a new account with their handle. They don't plan on using the real name account, so they could delete it.

Perhaps make it where a user could delete an account that has zero posts or likes, but they need to notify the HOM to delete an account which has activity.

ChgoBob and JALPak like this.
  6. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting question about the posts since you could edit all your posts to nothing. Is there a way to both preserve what you have shared and also respect your privacy?

7. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    It suspect that eventually it will be helpful if there was a global thermonuclear delete button for the entire existence here of future miscreants. But at the very least there should be a "close my account and purge account profile details" link.

philcape likes this.
  8. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that there should be some means to global delete one's info. I'm surprised that none of the developers has responded to this thread.

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Would such a function also delete quotes that are embedded in other users posts?

10. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that would even be feasible, seems like it'd be a nightmare going back and dealing with that

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And if it were done, it could be considered to impinge on the posting rights of the ones who did the quoting, as well as making their posts look weird or silly, so it really does turn into a tangled mess.

12. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just making an educated quess about technical aspects here. Presuming everything is stored in some sort of SQL database, it is relativelly easy to delete a member and all associated posts. However, I would think that deleting all references to this member's posts (quotes etc) would be nearly impossible or at least not feasible. It is definitelly doable, but computationally very extensive and it would of course cause all sorts of troubles later on - e.g. other member's posts would not make sense anymore.
    Then there are other aspects, mentioned above and most probably also covered by T&C etc.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. ryan
    Original Member

ryan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any developers that have comments on this?

Gargoyle and JALPak like this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    What they'll do is anybody's guess. But I would assume they will not delete accts. It would require removal of all posts thereby removing content and also lower user numbers. I would think they'd make 1 off exceptions, but in general I wouldn't expect anything that would lower total user numbers.

aitchly likes this.
  15. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rename the account to "Respected Traveller 678" and lock the account from further activity. I am assuming the handle would change in posts and quotes if this were done, but I am BB ignorant.

kayet and aitchly like this.
  16. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't currently an option for a member to delete his/her own account.

Can I leave it at that? [​IMG]

No? Oh, ok, I'll dig myself a little deeper.

As many of you have noted, there are a host of associated issues if account deletion is allowed - and the whole thing tends to get real messy, real quick. The threaded discussion structure is simply not one that lends itself to no muss, no fuss account deletion.

At this point, I think it would be fair to say we aren't entirely against the idea of deleting an account, but we will likely treat requests on a case-by-case basis and will need to be convinced by a pretty compelling argument.