[Answered] Hard Questions on Hardware

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by wijomas, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all know the frustrations slow load times and "database errors" had on us previously. We need to ensure this new site is as frustration-free as possible - and I've already started to notice the odd slow page load, but during this beta stage that's understandable.

Going forward, from the official launch date, are we going to have the hardware to support a mass influx of members and the network and database backend to, well, back it up?

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we are currently building for that. For the tech crowd here's the answer: we're moving to a round robin DNS on the Amazon (EC2) cloud platform. We've worked with many who understand scale and this solution they say is extremely flexible and powerful for a new start. Once we launch, we expect to not have to re-vist this topic no matter the size or growth. And while you do not mention search. We have already started on one of the most powerful search solutions for this type of application which consultants say doesn't make sense until you reach into the millions of posts. Well, we think we can get there and would prefer not to have to address that when that moment comes so as noted, we are working on the implementation of super search in just the next few months though it may be a year or two before it was necessary. In my opening message, i pledged to work toward board technology not being a hurdle for our members and hope that this information gives hope to my pledge.
    Bottom line: once we are on the cloud, we'll really never know where your most recent post is actually being hosted at! Thanks for keeping us honest and driven, this type of relationship means a lot to us.

3. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks Randy! :)