[Answered] "Give me the facts, Ma'am...."

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Travel2Food, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the frustrations with FT is finding useful program information amongst all the posts. Searches don't work (well), and many of the stickies require human content management. (I know Canarsie touched on this in another thread, but my thoughts are more specific). It becomes really tough to find useful information at times (for example, finding both factual and user-experience info on using DL systemwide upgrades on AF & KL, or finding the link to the outside database that's collecting upgrade statistics for the AA program). The "DC Happy Hour" thread is pretty good, but it's very small and easily managed.

Wikis tend to be factual, but not deep in info (and especially don't include user-experience). Sites like TravelingBetter are more helpful, but are highly moderated and not well known.

I'm wondering if there's a feature that can be considered where users can "flag" posts in a thread that contain highly useful content, and those posts go to the start of the thread. Sorta the same way the "like" button works, only instead of just producing a tally, it actually allows ranking of the information based on user-determined relevance. IMHO, this would be better than creating 50+ page sticky threads where the information is distributed throughout, and it would be better than creating sub-forums/wikis that have only factual info (but limited user input). I'm thinking "put the relevant info at the start of the thread". If that's not feasible, maybe some kind of "bookmarks".

I personally think it would help find useful info a LOT faster than other places.

Fiji and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Good question and one that we have certainly put some thought into. Mind you that our focus (this project is just over a month old now) has been to identify newer technologies for a base and then build upon that. We have in our dev environment a wiki solution which we think has some promise and we have a Q/A idea which we also think has some merit. Those will be revealed over time but i hope you can appreciate that unless we have a new technology that works none of the other stuff matters. My pledge was to try and create technology that did not get in your way. Toward what you may be referring to, there are ways we are exploring as to how you can easy move the most "liked" information to the top of any topic. While that function is new to many of our Beta members right now, once we move to a more formal launch and the website matures on members, it will certainly grow more relevant. But one of the things we do have and we are exploring is the element of topic tagging which tends to move beyond the function if "liking" a topic or an answer.

Bottom line, if you like what we have done in just one month, I do believe over time you'll be pleased with an information structure that will be of immense help to you. again, i love the question, i just don't love the fact that a day only has 24 hours (!).

tomh009 likes this.
  3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Randy, looking forward to the improvements, and appreciate the feedback! I'm very impressed so far.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just keep flying around the world westbound and you can extend your days.

kiwi likes this.
  5. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree that this is an extremely critical element in making the site more helpful and differentiating it from others. Also looking forward to the improvements and how this might be more effectively done.

Gargoyle likes this.