[Answered] Flyertalk replacement?

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by harry0233, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive my limited knowledge, is this project a flyertalk.com replacement? Everything seems to be the same, except for some changes( facebook connection,etc).

2. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it's a FlyerTalk 'competitor'.

doc likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    It is absolutely not a replacement for FlyerTalk. FlyerTalk remains relevant and useful for any number of reasons and I remain proud of it and as well continue to post there.

When you say it looks the same—that likely could be said about frequentflier.com/forums, travelingbetter.com, sqtalk.com cathaytalk.com, v-flyer.com/forum/index.php, canflyer.com, vielfliegertreff.de, vielfliegerforum.de, and any number of other websites that have sprung up over the years. There is a common structure to the topics that all frequent flyers are typically interested in. One might say that Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz all look the same. I think each one takes a look at ideas that can make it unique and that there is the difference. It might be technology which is the difference. Other times ideas like our concept of ConcourseZ makes it different or at least more custom for members. Each of these above examples share a real common DNA, and it is not FlyerTalk, it is the basic manner in which your typical forums-based software is set up.

I meet travelers every day that from their observation all frequent flyer programs look the same. I think you and I would beg to differ since after you spend some time looking at the comparisons of benefits and more importantly, how those beenfits are delivered you come to appreciate just how different they are.

Point being our members are not trying to build a replacement—just trying to do what all the other examples cited above are doing—building a better mousetrap. And thanks for the question.

stu52, JDiver and barelyelite like this.
  4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    alternatives are always good. i know that once egullet used to be good and now it no longer is. things evolve and people move on.

5. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the OP - so far I don't see anything that is different from FlyerTalk that makes me want to check in here every day as I do with FT. The only difference seems that there seems to be a lot more "personal" talk rather than travel talk. I realize this is a new site but what is the real difference?

2soonold and NewbieRunner like this.
  6. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it is a new site, and some of the long running threads on FT, like the dollar coins thread and the fuel dump thread get "rebooted" here on MP, which is newbie friendly. And the goal is supposed to be friendlier to new visitors than FT, which has become somewhat overwhelming. Ultimately smaller may be better.

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I post & read on both sites. Both FT & MP are great! I post more on Milepoint because I want to see this site suceed and most importantly, I want to contribute (by posting) my knowledge to help the community. And I have alot of fun helping the community. [​IMG]

doc, misman, MikeMpls and 3 others like this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd say that if Milepoint is already being compared to Flyertalk, just a week and a half into private beta, then that's pretty impressive. Milepoint is a work in progress, it will be what this group make of it, and of course what Randy's tech folks add-on as the beta and early launch phase develops.

JDiver, Kalboz and kiwi like this.
  9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok. maybe it's not yet a replacement for FT; but ya gotta ask yourself, "Do you like it better than FT? Well, do ya, punk?"[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't speak for everyone. But so far I like the MilePoint site has to offer and it is set up. Even though I know things will change before it goes public.

doc and Freddie Listo like this.
  11. chrissxb
    Original Member

chrissxb Active Member

Status Points:
    I am curious to see where both websites will be ... let's say in a year or two. is there a significant change in market share ...

Gargoyle, kiwi and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  12. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy, I just wanted to say that I really like MilePoint. The format is more personal than . . . ahem . . . that other website :), though the information is just as accessible. Already, I find myself spending more time here.

You've got another winner! ^

doc and AmericanGirl like this.
  13. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said PTravel! MilePoint is my new home page. I still have FT of course, but this is the first I go too. In addition, I don't "check in" here several times a day, I just keep the page open for hours on end [​IMG]

doc likes this.
  14. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? If it's being compared to Flyertalk, perhaps it's because the user group on Milepoint is a subset of the FT members.

If you had drawn your membership principally from canflyer, it would be being compared to canflyer. I know you want the site to succeed, but you are easily impressed if you think that taking users from one forum, inviting them to try out another somehow shows an element of achievement if they then subsequently compare the new experience with the old one.

At the moment, it's pretty useless to me as a source for information. I do find myself spending less time on here as time goes on and FT is still first (and usually only) with the news.

Pete likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considering the size of the potential market, even FT at 300k users only has a tiny portion. There are tens of millions of active members of airline and hotel programs.

People are moving more and more to the internet tubes for information, entertainment, and connections, so the total potential market is growing rapidly. It is quite possible that in two years FT will be more active and vibrant than it is now, and MP will be on the same scale as FT.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  16. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking as someone who was drawn to FlyerTalk because it was in line with my interests, I have to say that I never felt truly welcomed there. The other day I admitted to losing my PLT status here because there was a thread addressing loss of status, and I can't imagine admitting it "over there" because FlyerTalk feels more like a closed group of elitists to me. I know that is a broad brush and paints unfairly, but, I did witness posters getting flamed at FlyerTalk for nothing more than not knowing the correct jargon or airport codes. So far this site seems much more inclusive and accepting of newcomers, and I see the "carrots" in place to encourage it. (e.g., "like" buttons).

Gargoyle, AmericanGirl and Grace like this.
  17. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see some posts on FT today that seemed to "down" MP for all the non-content we have here, you know the fun stuff. Personally, I don't know why anyone would mind MPers having a bit of fun because that is what a true community does. I appreciate the true content on both sites, but MP feels like home. Just my two cents [​IMG]

Mundivaganti likes this.
  18. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find I'm much more active here than I have been on FT for years. The community is smaller, and needs a lot of information. Here, I'm actually able to answer questions before 40 other people do, or add something that is of value.

I find myself checking in with FT daily, but I spend my time here to provide content.

Mundivaganti likes this.
  19. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it's going to take a lot of work to maintain our hope and pledge to remain friendly and I'm here to help and guide you all. Thanks that you feel comfortable here and that's a great start.

Mundivaganti likes this.
  20. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't always that way, Mundivaganti. When I first joined in 1998 I was pretty clueless and everybody bent over backward to be nice and help me learn. It stayed friendly and happy for several years and then, when it really started to grow, I think it was after the "Pudding Guy" publicity, a new breed of posters began to join. Sadly many of the new posters were snotty, unfriendly, and in some cases downright nasty and hateful. I stuck around and did the best I could to change things for the better, but since many of the most aggressivley unkind poster were moderators, it was a hopeless case. :(

Fortunately for me, by that time I already knew pretty much everything I needed to know to accomplish my very lofty goals, and had figured out how to keep my tired old body in first class and upgraded suites almost all of the time. :)

It sounds from his MP posts, that Randy has learned a lot and will not make the same mistakes this time around. I really hope so as I am launching into a new phase of my travel career (burning not earning) and am sure I will be in need of advice.

I trust that you will continue to find MP warm, friendly and welcoming.

stu52 likes this.
  21. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm relatively new to FT and to this site, well because this site is new, but already I like MP so much better! I started a thread on FT last year about a "duty free casualty" and was looking for advice. I ultimately got called a crass inexperienced flier and was told I needed to get some common sense. After that, I don't think I'll post there again, however I do still use the site to find MR deals. Did the west coast-MIA one in Jan :)

22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, we may still call you a crass inexperienced flier that needs common sense newbie, but we'll welcome you with open arms.

Gargoyle and hulagrrl210 like this.
  23. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from that one yesterday (my Feb one was cancelled, maybe a good thing after yesterday's long day in a metal tube). I agree that FT seems better for finding MRs. But maybe that's the point. This site is more social.

24. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people act like they were born informed. I don't know what makes acquiring knowledge lead some folks to being unkind know-it-alls, but thank heaven the other portion become helpful.

Early days (re: MRs)

25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's like facebook, but I actually like the people I talk to here

Scottrick and Gargoyle like this.