[Answered] FlyerTalk handles vs. MP handles - some questions...

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gaucho, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize if this has already been discussed... but I wonder if there is an official policy on this issue. For those of us that have decided to not use the exact same handle that we had on FT, Im now somewhat "worried" that another user could grab my Gaucho100K handle and create confusion in the future.

I realize that Im the one to blame for this, and in no way want to pass on the burden of this issue to MP... also, I dont want to break the rules and have multiple handles as I will assume that the MP TOS does not encourage this.

Its probably too much hassle to have MP "retire" handles for users that have a long time history/record over on FT and now post here (Im thinking of possible issues with searches that bring up results that assign "authorship" to a certain handle, etc.)... maybe its easier to allow users that have these concers to rename themselves...?

Am I the only one worried about this...?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Alex / Gaucho (Gaucho100K on FT)

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alex, if you could have Gaucho100k back the world will be happy. But then what happens if somebody else takes Gaucho. Maybe you could have two handles?

3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's another thread on here somewhere suggesting you register both names to do exactly what you want: to keep someone else from using it and appearing to be you. It seems to not be against the MilePoint TOS to have multiple handles for this reason, and many people have already done this.

Traveller and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I registered my FT name on MP but I posted under a new name.​
    MP is aware of this and only asked that it not be abused.​
    Welcome aboard. :)

Traveller and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto.

6. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    The above responses are correct, it is not against the MP TOS to register your old account name to keep it from being used.

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would encourage use of the same handle so that we can recognize old friends and some not so old friends. I see some have added a note in their signature with their old handle.

8. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for confirmation. perhaps this could be displayed during registration process etc?
    maybe some people know "everyone" in real life, making online name changes irrelevant?