[Answered] Design Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by DesertRose, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone else seems to love the new design, so maybe I'm off-base, but I have a couple of design/appearance issues:
    1) Too much white. I actually had to figure out how to turn the brightness down on my desktop monitor.
    2) I can only see 2, maybe 3 posts without having to scroll down. More than an inch of space is a lot for a one-line post...

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really, white space is good! But the downside is additional scrolling as you say ...

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm also in what I think is a minority, those who don't like reading text against a white background. It's great for ink on paper, but on a monitor it's tiring on these old eyes due to the backlighting. Most corporate and news media sites stick with the white background, so it gives a professional look. Still, I'd prefer a light cream - just move a few ticks off of pure white.

On second thought- light cream would conflict with the blue scheme. However pale blue, with all the other blue shades, would be a bit static and boring, so I'm not sure of the right answer.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a good-quality LCD monitor, pure white should be OK. Unfortunately many consumer-grade LCD monitors are set up to be super-bright with over-vibrant colours. :(

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    First of all welcome. And as well, thanks for the feedback. A heads up on this topic. We actually don't have a design in yet, the comments from others may be relative to the overall functionability of MilePoint. Our first priority is building meaningful and relative content and as well making sure that the underlying technology works and works and works. the design is actually still at an agency, what you see is simply placeholders just to get the process of testing started. At this point, the logo is not a final, there are at least 6-8 others at the agency, the home page is missing, there are at least three designs so far that have been rejected and the internel build which effects the things you mention will flow from the design which we eventually choose. As for the white and all that, while not yet designed, the initial influence on that is where many of the most popular and east to use websites are going, such as hipmunk.com, mint,com, etc. they use simplicity in design and white makes that happen. Anyway, it will likely be much closer to the launch date of march 1 before you see any real design efforts put into this and again, that is on purpose, this is a Beta and without great content and without technology that works, even the best design isn't worth ... well, an expired mile! Cheers.

6. It would nice if one could set their own colour scheme, or even full background from a selection.

7. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oooh, first post!

Yup, there is definitely too much white space. If you have a 1-line reply like mtacchi's above, you get the equivalent of about 10 blank lines before the next bit of text. This will get VERY frustrating in long threads. Perhaps an easy way to get around this is to have an option to kill avatars, which would presumably squeeze up the text and have the other benefit of speeding things up for those on slow connections.

Similarly, an option a la FT to go ad-free for a modest contribution would also be very welcome, both in terms of speed of downloading and squeezing up the posts.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

There are planned to be two ad-free options: some kind of subscription, as well as gold status (which does not require payment but is based on participation on the site).