[Answered] Controlling my 'followers' list

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by kwai, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only find preferences for when I'm doing the following. Is there a way to eliminate someone who is following me? Well, I don't mean eliminate them in that way. :D

I ask because someone joined, started following me and hasn't been back in a month. No posts, nothing except the decision to follow a water buffalo and another animal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Water buffalo's rule. I'm not entirely sure of the answer, it's more a technical one and as such I'm going to move this question to the Feedback/Help forum where Tim, Mikel and our other members are smarter than I.

kwai and jbcarioca like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit, this thread does tempt me to follow the water buffalo and begin a self-imposed exile.

I suspect it's probably someone who joined for an ipad, poked around a bit, and left. In other venues I've seen such behavior implemented as part of a spamming or blackhat SEO strategy. I suppose you could lock down your profile or be less interesting to avoid in the future, but it would probably be nice to get rid of undesirable followers with a foe list or similar. While I'm not a huge fan of such functions, they do have their place.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I'm worried: I'm following you! Do you want me to go away?

kwai and jbcarioca like this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it is a despondent Buffalo Sabres fan?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That user will log back in for the prizes awarded when we hit 200k members, since that will mark the celebration of our Bison Tennnial.

Counsellor, lili, milchap and 2 others like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p
    :eek:

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have better taste than to follow solely a buffalo and a gremlin. I question the sanity of this individual. :D

9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    There isn't a way to prevent people from following you or remove people that are following you as far as I know, but there are ways to limit access to your profile/feed other items related to your account.

So if you only want certain people to get these updates just visit the privacy settings page: http://milepoint.com/forums/account/privacy and for anything you want to access restrict select "People you follow only" and then whatever area of the site you have restricted is restricted to only people you select to follow.

lin821 and kwai like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tim. It seems it's an all or nothing proposition.