[Answered] Avatar Upload - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by FlyingPanda, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingPanda
    Original Member

FlyingPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to upload my avatar (JPG photo) but keep getting an error that the file must be <29.3KB. I have already reduced it to 200 x 200 pixels, taking the original PNG file to 164 KB and am using maximum JPG compression in Photoshop, but that only takes it to 116 KB. What am I doing wrong? :(

Attached Files:

magic111 likes this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That happened to me as well so I just signed up to Gravatar, that seemed to be able to upload any size.

3. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You found a workaround yourself ;) Looking at the files you uploaded above, you should be able to download one of those and use them as they've been compressed.

I find that sometimes if I change the file name so that it is saved "fresh" without the historical information it is much smaller.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For some odd reason, your image seems to be 115 dpi. Perhaps if you resample it (most graphics apps can do this) to 72 dpi while maintaining the overall dimensions that might help. Also, as mentioned above, in a graphics program select all, copy, paste as a new document and save, and you'll get rid of any metadata.

You should be able to drag this one to your desktop, it's 72 dpi and only about 9k.
    panda.jpg

5. FlyingPanda
    Original Member

FlyingPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, those are still too big. I'm using Save as... anyways, but the historical information suggestion turned me on to the eventual solution...

Shouldn't matter if it's 115 dpi or 72 dpi (I saved it at 72 dpi in Photoshop), as it's 200 x 200 pixels that should define the file size. The exact protocol you suggested didn't work, but the metadata suggestion again turned me on to the solution...

What I had to do was open the PNG file in GraphicConverter, an old piece of Apple software from 2001 that I had around, and save the file as a JPG without the resource fork. That allowed me to generate a 200 x 200 pixel @ 72 dpi file that was only 8 KB (50% JPEG compression). So, I'm guessing that all of the extra filesize was, indeed, tied up in Photoshop metadata of some sort.

Incidentally, I'd initially created at 24 KB file, but was unable to upload it as I still got the error that it was >29.3 KB...

Thanks again for your help.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on getting it to work!

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right ... the old Mac OS resource forks. I would have thought that a standard cross-platform format like JPEG would always get saved without a resource fork, but I guess not!

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed MP gives an error if you try to upload an avatar image that is more than twice as wide as tall, or more than twice as tall as wide.

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've encountered this same error. I have a .png file that is 340x340 pixels but only 25,178 bytes (24.5 KB), and I get the above error message when I try to upload it.

I scaled the image down to 300x300 pixels and again saved it as a .png file with a different file name. For some reason, this file is slightly larger at 31,826 bytes (31.0 KB), but it uploaded fine even though it is larger than 29.3 KB.

10. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    If you are using PhotoShop you can size the image to 190x190 and then "save for the web" instead of save as and you will likely be good to go. If you are still too big, you can adjust the quality of the image as well.

11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not having a problem other than that the error message doesn't seem to reflect reality and might frustrate some others.