[Answered] Ask the Experts...

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by noam, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't a fully formed idea, but I want to throw it out there...

I was thinking about Randy's statements around making MP a welcoming community and how you can keep that going as the site expands. Maybe one way is for each major forum (AA, UA, AC, OW, *A, etc) to have an "Ask the experts" thread or sub-forum. On the one hand it would focus the questions away from the "normal" threads and it would provide a "safe place" (for lack of a better phrase) for people to ask their questions even if they might be rudimentary.

Thoughts?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this is similar to the newbie lounge on FT with embassador answering questions?

3. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I've ever been to the newbie lounge on FT, but I think the answer is yes. A place where experts in that particular area would help provide answers.

4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A direct answer to a simple question would certainly be better than a scolding response to use the search feature

tomh009 and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I mentioned this elsewhere but we will be testing in our dev environment a concept of expert Q/A. A visual of what we have in mind is here:
    http://answers.mint.com/
    however please understand this is a visual of the concept, not the actual implementation. anyway, we have been thinking well ahead and as the days allow us, you will find a great place to call home for all your frequent flyers needs. Thanks for the question and keep us going.

6. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. [​IMG]

Are you planning something site-wide or segmented by forum?

7. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is just how the "Newbie Thread" on the FT AA forum works. People can ask whatever they want, flame free. Certainly limiting this to Newbie threads or Newbie lounges is a better idea, IMO, than having this in general as it can tend to get cluttered with asked-many-time-before questions popping up in new threads all the time.

An approach that I've taken there (and will do here) is to do the search for them, show the results and the search terms. This way they get and answer but can also see that search is not that hard to use, and what terms would have worked. People can learn without the scolding.

Cheers.

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.