[Answered] Additional need for category posts.

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by MrAOK, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm having two problems with MilePoint

First, I today went in to try to post some general tips under rental cars about web sites to search for discounts and found to my surprise that there is no option under the rental car boards to make general posts that apply to all rental car companies.

It would be good to add that possibility.

There are two instances when the more general threads are needed.

One is the one I was going to do, which was to explain how to find and apply rental car discount codes for various companies (explaining that there are two codes) and offering information on codes at airline sites, AARP, AAA etc. that apply to multiple rental car companies.

The second is when people are looking for rental car deals for a city and don't necessarily care which company. At this point MilePoint is too tied to information on individual programs.

Second, I found it difficult to find meetup threads. They need to be highlighted somewhat more

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the first point.

On the "main" menu bar (top of the page right under the milepoint logo) third item is Meetups and goes to a clickable calendar. Click to go right to the meetup's thread.

kiwi likes this.
  3. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback.

The General Discussion | Miles/Points forum is intended to serve as the place to discuss general frequent flyer topics that don't apply to one single program. At this point there likely isn't enough interest/content to warrant a general car rental forum, but that is subject to change based on demand.

With regard to the meetup threads. We could certainly move the Community section up higher in the forum structure but that would obviously necessitate de-emphasizing something else. Currently, Meetups can be accessed via the Meetups link in the upper navigation, as well as via the forum structure. I'm not sure where else we could place them but we are open to suggestions.

4. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    This goes back to my question about who the forums are aimed at and attempts to grow MilePoint beyond the FlyerTalk audience (which we talked about at the meeting in Washington.)

And I don't know the answer to that.

But If the forums are truly designed to be aimed at a more general audience looking for information but not yet savvy in the ways of traveling cheap, we really need to provide some help at the point they need it and that is most logically not in some general forum on top, but when they open the sub forums for hotels, rental cars, and cruises--and before they get to individual chains, car company or cruise lines.

I suggested at the meeting that perhaps an "expert" setting could drop out some of that, but for the less savvy, it could be what draws them to Milepoint.

You said there isn't enough general content appropriate to that, but it's sort of a chicken and egg situation. Is the reason there is no general content because there is no interest or --as I suspect--because there is not possibility of doing general posts applying across the board in the logical place where people would want to post them.

On the meetup thing. I didn't properly explain the problem.

When the Washington event was announced, it was high up in the beta forum. It then dropped down and became nearly impossible to find, unless you knew to go to meetups.

We need to figure out a better way to highlight upcoming local events. It doesn't have to be a sticky. A little ad, a headline, a ticker or something graphical that would show up on the screen of MilePoint members in a local area or accessing the internet from the local area would have the same effect. But what showed up was nothing.

5. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Other major travel site" was also lacking a brand agnostic rental advise forum and lead to a lot of double posting and complaints from the posters in Brand X forum that the question wasn't Brand X specific. While there might not be quantifiable data in beta I do believe there is room for a "Car Talk" forum.

kayet and Gargoyle like this.