[Answered] Acronym decoder ring/glossary

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by nelsoji, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I knew a little about traveling until I logged in here and there are so many acronyms in each thread that half the time its like reading a foreign language where you really only know a couple of the words - I can get the gist of what everyone is saying - but its a lot harder.

Is there (or can there be) a list of acronym's that are commonly used. Maybe make it thread specific (i.e. if there is a ton of acronyms in the United Mileage Plus (UMP apparently) thread that wouldn't make sense anywhere else - just have them there). Anyway - I know that would GREATLY help me out - and I am sure I am not alone (or if I am - as this forum grows more popular - there will be many more!!)

It may be out there and I missed it - so if its already there - let me know!!!

Thanks!!

Tenmoc, Gargoyle and NewGamePlus like this.
  2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree (took me an hour to figure out "Good m/a/e").

Also, some easy way to decode the obscure airport codes (or adding a cultural trait of recommending everyone explain the odd ones). If I start talking about PRI it would be easier for me to (decode it for the readers here) rather than letting it sit to mystify others and to show them how much smarter I am then they because I know that arcanity.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  3. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sign me up for this as well. I use www.world-airport-codes.com to lookup airports I don't recognize, but a glossary of some kind for general terms would be greatly appreciated.

4. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aw, I'm a bit disappointed. I clicked into this thread hoping that one of the special gifts for reaching silver status was a Decoder Ring. I was going to use it to code the info on the luggage tags. My Tuesday went from amazing to disappointing in 15 seconds (I'm working from the hotel today so I'm experience slow page-load times).

Truthfully though, you can quickly get lost and overwhelmed with all the TLAs* that are used in the forums. A glossary would be a welcomed addition to the help page. With that said, I think as the wiki-capabilities are enhanced and we start to see consolidations of info there should be a standard for use of acronyms similar to any business document. Only use acronyms and abbreviations once they have been established by their full name (with the one exception being Airport Codes which are industry accepted).

*TLA = Three Letter Acronym

tahewett likes this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised me, too ; as I thought this was so at FT[​IMG].

6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would appear that program specific glossaries are being built as part of the program Wiki's. Take a look at United's Mileage Plus wiki to see the start of the list. My guess is that this type of information will spread across MilePoint over time so that you can quickly locate acronyms, terms, and FAQ's that are both general (across the FF community) and specific to a program (since we all know that the acronyms and terms are defined differently by different groups).

NewGamePlus likes this.
  7. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First let me say, I don't work for the MilePoint Dev Team. [​IMG]

The topic of acronyms has been bought up and discuss and the Dev team of MilePoint is aware. Remember the site is still in beta. I believe there will be a acronym section somewhere on the site. I hope it will be under the 'help' section. As if right now the Dev team is trying to make sure the back end of the software and other technology of the site is working smoothly. Before the site goes gold in March. [​IMG]

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We certainly have plans for this upon launch if not sooner. We have it—we actually supply the same to other forums such as FlyerTalk. This Beta was not intended to be the end-all of a normal experience and was launched with the simple request for helping us create meaningful content and shake out the technology. We have been debating internally where this goes since this forum software functions slightly differently than others. So while we wrestle with that bigger picture, I know and trust that there are many other members who can help you during the next few before we formally launch with the Glossary in place. Appreciate the feedback and we are truly working these types of details as quickly as we can.

kiwi, NewGamePlus, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  9. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry - we all started somewhere ;) Since you mentioned United specifically, this UACO Forum Newbie's Guide may help you get started. Don't hesitate to ask questions in the meantime too - it will help build content for those who come after you. And soon enough, Randy's acronyms will help too.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think you guys will be amazed at how fast you'll pick up this new language and become reasonably fluent. It's overwhelming at first and then you start quickly to learn the common abbreviations almost by osmosis. Next the problem becomes reminding yourself not to use this weird "secret" code when you're among "normal" people. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, someone out of the blue will ask you how long you've been working in the airline industry. It's almost frightening and you're not at all sure whether to congratulate yourself.. (P.S. I never did well at foreign languages in school.)

Bonnie, kiwi and NewGamePlus like this.
  11. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with all the comments. I understand you are in Beta here and thats what this suggestion was based on. I love the site and obviously once you know what all the TLA are - it is both easier to type and read. I work in the defense industry where everything is acronym based - understand it becomes part of the language once known - so am absolutely looking forward to learning what everything is!!

Love the forum though!!!