Another US AIR Dividend Miles Sale. Decisions, Decisions.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I truly love the mileage game, love the acquisition of miles/points and REALLY love the challenge of successfully redeeming flights for me and my friends, there does come a time when you have to step back and ask if you are dealing with an addiction!

Got a bunch of their miles from the BookingBuddy promotion. Wife and I each have enough for First Class to Europe. Have enough BA miles for 2 FC trips for both (used one 2-4-1 for Israel FC last month) - my wife has a voucher and I'm about $2000 away from my next voucher. Yet these deals are hard for me to pass up.

Should I choose to purchase 100,000 miles each, I can see no way I can use them for about 2 years. But the pleasure I get from going into AwardWallet and seeing big numbers, and the freedom it gives me to plan a trip whenever - well, that's the decision. An example is that we have been going to NYC (from northern NJ) for 5 days every December for years now - and we love it. But this year, we decided that a city is a city and since we have the miles (and the hotel points) we're going to Paris instead.

Do I need professional help? It's not chump change but it is a good value. Any thoughts???

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No help needed...my coworkers all think I'm nuts for traveling to 4 different European cities for long weekends and 1 4 night trip to Hawaii so far this year...I love it.

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Steven, if you need help, then we all do. Remember this, we're not crazy. ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Made my decision over dinner. It used to be that domestic flights were too cheap to use miles but they have gotten very costly. We're going to Scottsdale in April and the flights are $575 each or $1150 total. But I can buy miles for front of the plane for $ 1375. An extra $225 or $112.50 each for a 4+ hour flight makes sense.

Okay, cured!

ducster likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm still burning 2009 Holiday Big Bonus miles so I'm not going to be a buyer on this one!

6. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    You and me both, Gleff! I'm down to about 1.3mil left. Trying to decide where to burn next!

7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not even if they came with free tags?? ;)

Andyandy likes this.
  8. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I still have a few of those TIB labels rattling around in my desk. What a deal that was!
    Andyandy

MrHalliday likes this.
  9. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    TIB??? Oh yeah, still got a whole bunch left;);)!!!!!

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain. These deals are getting painful to read each time they come out because there are too many decisions to make.

We've never been a member of USAirways but are thinking about getting in on this deal because we have zero miles in Star Alliance. At the same time I am debating buying 100k points on AMEX and transferring to BA because of the 50% bonus. The way these bonuses are going we will never be flying again unless it is on points redemption.

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than buying miles through credit card sign-ups, I've always be reluctant to 'buy up'.

SC Flier likes this.
  12. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha Ha! I've still got quite a lot of 2009 Big Bonus Miles to go through as well, but it does pain me (just a little!) everytime US has a great mile promotion and I don't buy miles because I tell myself: Must. Stay. Rational!

It's better to burn the miles than to have a worthless stockpile of devalued miles.

But it's hard!

13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all of you with the 2009 Big Bonus miles - have redemptions been harder than other airlines?

So far I’ve been happy with my CX redemptions with AA 330 days out and Air France with AS miles a few months out. I want to discuss purchasing 200k US with my wife, the biggest factor is how difficult redemptions will be – assuming you can still get tickets will extensive pre-planning I think it’s worth buying the miles for prime summer season travel.

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Awards are generally easy to get, though of course it depends on where you want to go and with what products.

US Airways has generally been unable to book Lufthansa First Class North America - Europe. And some products is really quite unavaulable, e.g. Swiss First Class North America - Europe, Singapore first class, ANA first class except January - March.

But otherwise US Airways is great for redemptions on Star Alliance partners, and will have access to mostly the same inventory as United/Continental and Aeroplan. Which is great for Europe, great for Asia, great for Africa (mostly via Europe). Not so good for South America, tough for Australia/New Zealand (though Air New Zealand does release business class rewards liberally during the Northern summer months and exactly 60 days out during peak season).

BWIflyer, Nelumbo and iolaire like this.
  15. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who fly Y and conserve, this sale doesn't look terribly appealing.

For example, It's 35K points to CUN from my frosty northern perch in February, but only on restricted dates. Buying tickets for the two of us would cost $1,034 for 70K.

For unrestricted dates, at present I can buy the flight with $580 each and get the BIS miles. When the leaves change and the flight+hotel deals start, I expect that flight price to fall.

For discounted J seats, however, this one looks like a good deal.

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it depends on where you're flying and whether or not you already have plans and if you can live with the restrictions. If you can, then it's a bargain.

Flying on US Airways metal in off peak to Europe (mid January to late February) it's only 25k almost any day. Others are "low" season at 30k. A paid ticket for the same dates would be $800.

If you're looking at Envoy/First, then it's a no-brainer... that's around $3,700 according to US Airways but you can get an award seat for between 60-100k -- again, off-peak/low season.

Assuming you can find the seats, that would be 120k miles for two seats, which you could get for either $7,500 or purchasing miles today for about $1,650 (50k @ $1,375 + 10k @ $275 + 50k free + 10k free).

chemist562 likes this.
  17. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    As much as I dislike Barclay's, one can get their credit card and get a 5K/award ticket discount. I applied a few months ago and only got 10K signup bonus instead of 35K. :mad: With the CC, the off peak envoy tickets would be 55K/ticket. I redeemed 120K miles (no CC at the time) for 2 Envoy tickets in 2008 for Jan 2009 travel. (LAX-MAD). Only a few dates were available but with some flexibility, it can be done. I was checking for 2 travelers. Even had availability on a few dates from LGB since we live only 3 miles from there.

18. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US Airways award chart says off peak to Europe is now 35K miles.
    I do distinctly remember seeing it before at 25K miles, which struck me as great value then. It's still a pretty good deal at 35K though.
    Does anybody know when they changed the redemption rate?

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was very recently... in the last couple of weeks I think. I remember looking into it as part of my plans for January and it was 25k.