Another stealth cut - cannot talk to customer relations!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Apr 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a problem on a flight, called and was connected to customer relations - who told me to call back after the trip was completed (week later return of round trip)! Called today as was told that as of 2 days ago Plat Exec agents cannot connect to cr but to email from the generic form on the website!

So I find the form - which does NOT pre-populate and requires entry of lots of information (name, address, etc in detail), then it asks for flight info - oh don't have the flight number - go to another tab to look it up and when I go back to the form - everything is erased!

Then, there is no category for broken equipment or other issues...... the form has limited data allowed so I had to do this twice in order to address 3 issues.

This is a serious downgrade to service - don't allow your best customers to talk to a live human and require a lot of their time to fill out a poorly designed, time consuming form :angry:

Newscience and MX like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You might be able to call AAdvantage customer service to seek compensation. Personally, I prefer emailing complaints, but I completely understand why you would prefer taking to someone.

Sammich, Newscience and MX like this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also now no way to talk to someone over the phone for AA Refunds--- now just an email address for AA Refunds and talking to AAgents over the phone--- but AAgents are not directly in charge of refunds.

4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The refunds web site is pretty good. Seriously.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope - customer relations IS customer service. Guess there is no such thing with a real live person any more.
    I didn't become top tier to have to deal without personal assistance for issues that are a bit complicated - nor should anyone regardless of their status.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well whether you like it or not you better get accustomed to it :) (and presumably you never had to deal with other airlines such as BA, AB or AZ on anything similar to what you describe)
    JonNYC on his TB website had reported this change about a week ago.

Luckily for me its been about 6 or more years since I have found the need to speak to AA CS. I have the number of a direct line to them on my cell ..but I wonder if it still valid?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It just seems like bad timing to do this at this point in the merger. It is also another reason why I would be worried if I was a PHX US Air employee.

Newscience likes this.
  8. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tweet @americanair for help. Customer service no longer takes calls. SHAME on American Airlines.

Sammich, Max M, estnet and 1 other person like this.
  9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have a refund snafu issue, then you're SOL.

AA.com claimed a one-way, fully refundable B-class fare for LHR-USA was ~$300 USD, when the one-way fare paid was in excess of ~$1900. The fare was paid with credit card and voucher, and every time I spoke to an agent, I was told the refund had been processed--- yes the credit card portion of ~$300 was, but the voucher for the ~$1600 difference was never re-issued, and AA.com didn't have the functionality to recognize this mistake.

Over 10 separate phone calls to AA's Platinum line proved worthless-- as it was something only the refunds department would handle, and AA claimed they could not transfer me to someone in the refunds department.

AAgents repeatedly gave me the same email address to get the refund properly handled, and 6 separate emails over 2 weeks, with the same message copied and pasted, my emails to the Refund Department went totally unanswered and ignored. I made sure to check with AAgents each time to ensure I had the correct email address; indeed it was correct.

The new American has arrived.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Sammich likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been there, done that.

However, AA's Twitter Team can be very daft.

Told them in great detail about a refund snafu issue I had, and @AmericanAir's response was: "We are just a social media team, we are unable to handle your refund issue."

To which I rebutted, "If you're a social media team, shouldn't you have access to all departments at AA, including the refund department?"

It took a witty rebuttal --- which it shouldn't have--- to have AA's Twitter team respond by telling me they would forward my issue to the refunds department.

Only with the help of an outside 3rd party did the voucher get reissued, and in the process, I lost out on getting an exceptional TATL Business Class fare--- not a fare mistake --from getting booked. [which I wanted to apply the voucher towards]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Sammich and estnet like this.
  11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 Weeks sounds right, it took forever for me to get my voucher for a refund on TIV flights. Credit card refunds are done really quick. Writing in the best option, I have had good luck as I took 3 trip in vain's last year on AA. It took me a month to get my cert emailed me after AA got my letter.

Even as a United 1K I had much trouble getting a hold of a person for refunds, the 1K desk could call in from 8-5, but wouldn't transfer you over.

12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The "NEW" AA is getting even worse. Booked an AA F award CPH - LHR - SEA - SNA with the CPH-LHR-SEA legs on BA and the SEA-SNA leg on AS. BA changed the time of the LHR-SEA leg such that I only had a 25 minute connection in LHR and would miss the SEA - SNA flight). Obviously this reschedule needed to be fixed. Did not receive any notification of the change. Just noticed it when I was going over all my reservations. Called AA Gold desk to get rebooked. First phone call took about 45 minutes and the agent could only find replacement flights that put me on AB and added segments. Obviously not acceptable in that I did not want AB, additional segments or an additional 5 hours of transit time. Second call went a little better. The agent basically said it was a BA problem and they would have to fix it. Told the agent that I needed to get into the LA area at about the same time (5:00 PM) or earlier. We agreed he would send the BA liaison a request for the BA non-stop LHR -LAX as that was about the only way to get me to LA at the same time. I also suggested, as a second option, was to open space on the AA non-stop LHR to LAX. BA refused to make award space available so AA booked me (without coordination) CPH - LHR - JFK - LAX with the JFK - LAX segment being in C and getting in 3.5 hours after my original schedule. Obviously getting in 3.5 hours later and flying a long segment in C was not acceptable. Don't know why they would not open award space on the AA non-stop. Reached out to both AA twitter and AA customer service (email). Only thing either of them could say was that it was a BA problem and to keep talking to reservations. On Friday I made a third call and spent another half hour on the phone with a supervisor. She reiterated that it was a BA problem and said she would resubmit my request to BA. As of Monday afternoon, I still have not heard back. Great customer service (not).

I remember when agents or supervisors could open award space on any flight that had space available. Those days are obviously gone with the "New" AA.

13. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA refund has always been crap even before the "new" American.

I was accidentally charged $30x2 phone reservation fees on two reservations that were booked online. One refund came through, other never did. It's been...6 months now I think?

Called CC company to dispute the remaining 30 bucks. CC wanted proof that AA was going to refund it. In writing. Yeah no way was I going to be able to get that. Cancelled my CC with them later (my first time disputing with them) and called it a loss.

Max M and flyforawg like this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

I contacted AA's team too about my refund. Nope nada. Too bad. Something along the lines of..."yes, the charge was correct."

How do you charge a phone reservation fee for a reservation that was done online?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Max M and estnet like this.
  15. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually was told on January 5th that I would receive the vouchers "soon" when canceling the reservation that utilized voucher and credit card.

Wasn't until the end of February until I had actually received the voucher. [after getting the run around from AA, being persistent, and having the 3rd party get involved-- that process took about 2 weeks]

So from the time I was told I would receive the voucher, until when I finally became persistent about the refund, and then finally receiving the voucher took over a month and a half--- as a result, lost out on some great fares in Business Class--- not mistake fares.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you really trying to tell us that AA agents or supervisors where able to open award space on BA (I here to tell you it never did and cannot/will not happen whether you think so or not) or that
    How do you know that inventory existed on AA's LHR/LAX flights? Did you even check on EF?.

I know its sucks that BA changed the flights but is that AA's fault? Seems to me that they made an effort to complete your trip but that want acceptable to you so basically your alternative is to receive you miles back and go elsewhere, no?

Not sure how many International itineraries you have ever flow but sorting out awards with mixed partners is never as simple as people seem to expect. Even a straight-forward request for available seats to BA, CX or JAL takes a few days.

You memory is not serving you well when you state " I remember when agents or supervisors could open award space on any flight that had space available" so I put it you that you really have no basis to compare the old and "new" AA.:)

17. c23634697

c23634697 Active Member

Status Points:
    Unless one really knows what they're doing and has the time and energy. The airline in our case previously AA has you by the shorts. AA . JAX to be feared by the handicapped. Twitter that, please.

18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They were not able to open space on BA (nor did I expect them to unless BA agreed). The tickets were booked on AA award stock. There was not award space available on AA's LRH/LAX flight so the reservation people would not give me space on that flight. As an update, I sent an email to Doug Parker's office outlining the situation. I received a call from his office the next morning. They were very apologetic and stated that just because BA changes a schedule, it does not take AA off the hook for getting you to your destination on time. They said that any schedule change, even with a partner, should be seamless and AA should have rebooked me on any AA flight that had seats available. The entire conversation took maybe 5 -10 minutes and they had me rebooked on the AA nonstop flight LHR - LAX. Bottom line was that they did what should have been done in the first place. And yes I have flown numerous international itineraries with mixed partners. This was the first time I ever had a problem sorting out a schedule change.

estnet, brodyf and MSPeconomist like this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am finding that complaints filed online are not being answered, either. Had two separate issues on the same flight, requiring two separate complaints. Wrote in using the online form on April 7th and nothing.

One thing I did enjoy about UA was the 1Kvoice email. AA would do well to set up something similar for Exec. Plats. Legitimate issues experienced by top tier elites should not be ignored. AA has gone to great lengths to lure UA's 1Ks. I'm not disappointed in the switch thus far, but I do find this to be a glaring defect in customer service.

While my problems did not involve a refund, if they had I would be nervous after reading this thread and having other valid complaints ignored. Companies can get away with a lot of things these days, but messing with people's money is not one of them.

estnet likes this.
  20. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had an EXP phone agent transfer me over to customer care before when dealing with an issue a while back.

On another note, I've had 100% responses to all web inquiries. Not always the response I had hoped for, but always a response. There can be a delay in the response though of up to a week or two in my experience.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    per this thread, unless "a while back" was earlier this month, the situation may have changed.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have, too. This is a recent and noticeable difference. Let's hope that it's merge related and temporary, although that just barely excuses it.