Another screw-up, another PR nightmare

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    tomh009 and mach 2 like this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes...it has a happy ending. It reminds me of a comment I heard a business professor once make that it is important for customer processes to completely fail some times so a company can demonstrate its commitment to customer service in its recovery.

If it were me, I'd be relieved about the outcome, but would have been far happier if it had been resolved at the outset.

mach 2 and milchap like this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is actually all to do with AP, not AC. AC just happened to be the carrier that the AP flights were booked on.

Certainly someone in the AC management hierarchy could have compromised, too, but fundamentally this was an AP issues, and AP admitted as much (and compensated the family accordingly).

mach 2 and milchap like this.
  5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are the one standing at the ticket counter with an Air Canada ticket with an infant in arms being told "its not our problem call Aeroplan" and Aeroplan's call centre is closed, I don't think you'd feel that the answer "it has nothing to do with AC" would be too reassuring.

Flyer1976, traveltoomuch and mach 2 like this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are the one standing at the ticket counter with a Singapore Airlines ticket with an infant in arms* being told "its not our problem call your travel agent " and your travel agent's call centre is closed, I don't think you'd feel that the answer "it has nothing to do with Singapore Airlines" would be too reassuring.

Seriously, I expect that the agent told them that a child over two years old needs his own ticket, and Aeroplan did not book one for him. It may not be reassuring, but if Aeroplan had booked the same ticket on UA, or LH, or SN, or NH, or whoever, they would have run into the same problem. And they would have had to call Aeroplan, who was effectively their travel agent.

* I suspect a two-year-old would be standing already

7. 2by4

2by4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    These people went the cheap route and did not get a seat for the kid in the first place. Then they (almost) paid the price.
    That was a long trip to book with a kid on your lap. But, then maybe they were counting on someone to move to give the kid a free seat.

Flyer1976 and tomh009 like this.
  8. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess they didn't have unsuspecting clients they could gouge repeatedly with high airfares as "expenses" like certain business brokers routinely do in order to make SE and then everything would have worked out.

Appears to me the reservation agent was the cause of the oversight and simply missed the fact that the child turned two on the return trip. I can't really see where AC can be blamed too much (although the 15% discount wasn't a slick move) as the first leg was on LH and cancelled leaving them twisting in the wind in the good old "we-aren't-the-issuing-airline-even-though-we-are-in-an-alliance-when-it-suits-our-purposes" game....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013