Another Ridiculous Thread™ : do you bring along bling when you travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Kohoutek, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    ;)

I do, and I don't. :)

If I'm wearing "bling" :rolleyes: (who started that term, anyway? Nevermind, I think I know.), it will be in situations where I have more control over the risk of loss.

An example of when I don't carry from home: a fly/drive vacation where my valuables will be stored in the rent car between stops. I'm not about to go hiking wearing diamonds and a Rolex. :p Therefore, I'll leave those items in a safe deposit box in the general vicinity of my crib.

An example of when I do carry from home: going to Vega$. It goes with the territory. :cool: Either I'm wearing it, or it's in the suite with the safe, should I be at the pool.

What say you?

jbcarioca and 2soonold like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I have to own bling first. Does my gold crown on my lower left molar count? ;)

miloki, jbcarioca and 2soonold like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't really had any bling since the divorce.;)

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Always Be Flying and jbcarioca like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My wife stopped carrying designer purses and shoes when we travel, the first time that our bags were lost. ;) Nothing that won't go in the carryon.

And certainly traveling in an unfamiliar city, in fact most places outside the US, she won't walk around with much expensive jewelry (besides her weddning and engagement rings) or her better bags.

Me, I don't wear bling really any time.

baliparis and jbcarioca like this.
  6. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My laptop & kindle are the only "bling" I take along.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If those are bling then I have them too. I usually bring the iPad too, but lately it's been either the laptop or the iPad, not both. We do not even have bling any more. It seems so 1980's to us.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  8. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I leave the good stuff at home. I bring a few pairs of gold earrings and a few necklaces, usually something gold and the rest stones, like amethyst. I usually bring a Prada tote for when I need to schlep stuff around with me and a small Prada crossbody for days when I can travel light - the Prada nylon bags are lightweight and really sturdy, so they're great for travel IMHO.

baliparis and secretsea18 like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only bling I carry are my laptop, Bose headsets and in a few weeks, my iPad2.

To reduce risk of theft (plus to avoid the TSA pawing through it), I don't even take my wallet anymore, only a credit card, Passport, NEXUS card and UA RCC card.

10. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    My life is bling and I have the shoes and grillz to prove it.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on my destination and activities. I never bring jewelry other than a watch. However, if I plan to stay in fancy hotels and eat in good restaurants, I'll generally bring more expensive clothes unless it's a place where this wouldn't be wise. Regardless, I do what I can to blend in with my surroundings and not stand out as a tourist.

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    less is better right? so i don't bring much fancy stuff when i travel - only necessities i.e. laptop, iphone

13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only jewelry I have is my watch and it isn't gold.

14. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't worn a watch in like over a decade. The only thing of value that goes with me everywhere is my Blackberry.

FlyingVizzer likes this.
  15. FlyingVizzer
    Original Member

FlyingVizzer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Droid for me but yes, basically, me too.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only extra 'bling' I take is a second watch (dressier than my usual casual one) if I'm going to go out at my destination.

CdnTraveller likes this.
  17. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still wear what I would every day (wedding and engagement ring, one other ring and a simple necklace) but none of those have any real value. My wedding ring was my Grandma's and was bought during WWII. It's tiny and only 9 carat gold I don't think I'd even get £50 for it if I tried to sell it.

The only reason I would take anything else with me is if I was travelling for a specific purpose. I have been known to take a specific piece with me if we were travelling for a wedding but it always travels in my hand luggage and even then it wouldn't be really valuable. Certainly no where near as valuable as the rolex watch someone mentioned earlier.

Apart from that I tend to travel with a laptop and a phone.

18. kirkpd
    Original Member

kirkpd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I leave almost all Bling at home - locked up of course. Have seen too many people lose their bling on vacation especially in/near water as your hands definately get smaller. Since I feel funny without my wedding ring on, I had a " fake copy ring" made and wear it for vacations only. If I do lose it - oh well. Took a while to get use to traveling " naked", but no worries for me with bling.

Kohoutek likes this.
  19. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find when traveling domestic, I dress as I do at home, typically more bling. When traveling international, I tend to tone it down to basic and simple. But I always wear some jewelry, usually sterling silver, some more expensive (likes of John Hardy). I wear a Prada bag for travel. And if I'm bringing Manolos/Louboutins and high end designer clothing, it is always in carry on.

20. I have no bling to wear.

Kohoutek likes this.
  21. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wear small white gold and diamond ear-studs (?), white gold and diamond necklace, my wedding-ring, a white gold diamond ring and another white gold diamond ring (VERY small diamonds). This is what I always use and I never take them off (unless I loose a diamond ear stud in Portugal.... grrrr... :)) . I also have an old Omega watch which I always wear. My wallet is Ferragamo and so are my bags and shoes. If I can't use it when traveling, I wouldn't buy it. However most of my designer bags/shoes don't "scream" "hey-ho I'm an expensive designer piece". :) My grandmother told me that jewelries should be used and I agree with her. :)

Xxx.

CdnTraveller likes this.
  22. dedehans
    Original Member

dedehans Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phony wearable "bling" , I phone, Dell notebook....