Another reason to doubt Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jbcarioca, Oct 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to book a RTW in business class with DL yesterday. I had used the ST site, such as it is. I had confirmed that all the space on all flights was available. I thought it would be simple. After one hour fifty-two minutes (I monitored) I was told availability was lacking on several flights. So, I did the time-honored DL trick, thanked the agent, hung up, recalculated to get another ST code and tried again. This time the wait was longer, 2 hours 3 minutes, but the agent was more professional. All was well. Then she told me that on the US flights DL will put you in economy, never mind it is RTW business. For an extra $100 you can upgrade yourself. never mind that I am Diamond, RTW tickets are not upgradable.

I then went back to OW and *A, the ones I usually use for RTW, and have good solutions for both, and OW books and pays online on the OW site, so no nonsense.

That is it for me. I already was disgusted with program changes. Now I have given away one award ticket and I have just offered others to Kiva. I shall now part ways with DL.

canucklehead, ceieoc, nime01 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear :( At least you can get elite status with another carrier with better benefits ;)

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily I am already top elite on both of the others, and Mrs. jb is also elite on AF so we really do not need DL and SkyPesos.

nime01 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, the 2-cabin up-charge is a rule agreed upon by all SkyTeam programs, not just Delta. And it is published in the fare rules of the RTW tickets:
    Code:
    SURCHARGES : NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
      SURCHARGES-
      1. FOR BUSINESS CLASS FARES/ ON SECTORS WITHIN
      THE U.S. IN AREA 1 AND BETWEEN THE U.S. AND
      CANADA/ PASSENGERS WILL BE ACCOMMODATED IN THE
      FRONT CABIN ON TWO-CABIN AIRCRAFT SUBJECT TO
      AVAILABILITY OF SEATS AT THE TIME OF BOOKING
      AT A SURCHARGE OF USD100/CAD150 PER FLIGHT
      SEGMENT.
      DL BOOKING CLASS IS IN THE AFOREMENTIONED
      IS CLASS -A-. NO SURCHARGE APPLIES FOR
      PASSENGERS PAYING FIRST CLASS FARES.

Currently for *A RTWs the rules on CO is to book into Z so as long as Z is published for the "F" cabin that's an option (and Z generally is). On UA one can book into A if D is not offered on the flight and it is a 2-cabin aircraft. For OW RTWs AA permits travel in A so long as D isn't published on the route.

You can review the fare rules and compare prices for the various RTW products here: http://www.wandr.me/RTW_Fares.aspx/. And even with paying $100 per segment extra on the domestic US segments you probably come out ahead on the fares. The 34K mile fare on DL is roughly $800 less than the comparable fare from oneworld and nearly $3000 less than the comparable *A fare (fares are ex-USA; if you start in Brazil OW is cheaper but SkyTeam is solidly below *A still).

So pick your poison, but also don't lose sight of the big picture of the costs of the fare. The DL/SkyTeam option actually isn't all that horrible.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely do make the comparisons. OW certainly is cheaper ex-Brazil because they bill in R$. ST will not do that if you choose DL, but they will if you choose AF. DL billed at $255 less that OW for this itinerary but OW was in F. *A cost was identical to *T when the additional cost of DL usa was added. On balance I chose OW F because that $255 for F everywhere where there was F was a tiny price to pay.

I have done about 2-3 RTW each year for some years. This is the first time I tried ST, so it was a shocker for me.

nime01 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same issue with Delta when trying to book a RTW Business Class trip.