Another reason to bring mobile chargers on international trips

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    A year ago my phone died during the return trip from Manila. Due to insane delays in customs I wasn’t able to charge my phone[​IMG] before my connecting flight, and just assumed I would be able to charge it on the flight home. Despite recent flights on many planes with plugs, this particular flight had none and the Home Warrior had to wait until I was in my car to hear that I had made it back to the States. Since then I have traveled with a mobile charger everywhere.

Today, TSA gave me another reason to bring a mobile charger on every trip. According to USA Today, on flights coming into the US there will be a chance of additional screening. Part of this could include being asked to turn on your electronic devices, and if your phone or laptop won’t turn on it won’t be permitted on the flight. That’s right, if your phone or laptop has a dead battery you can’t bring it with you on the plane.

(For a minute, let’s talk about how ridiculously stupid this is. It makes one wonder if anyone at the TSA actually travels. Or works on a laptop. Or uses a phone, ever. Sometimes you forget your car charger, or maybe your flight was delayed, or maybe your battery is old and won’t hold a charge. Will they even give you a chance to plug in your device and let it charge for a moment before determining that it’s some sort of bomb? Haven’t the electronic devices been X-rayed? I can just imagine the business traveler explaining to their boss that they need a new laptop because the battery died in the old one and they had to leave it at a foreign airport. Seriously, I can’t see the rationale behind this AT ALL. If you do, please enlighten me.)

Since I can’t fix this ridiculous policy, here is how I recommend working around it. First, do your best to charge your devices at every opportunity. Bring a mobile charger that will power phones, tablets, and eReaders. Finally, make sure your computer battery will hold a charge. If you travel internationally frequently it may be worth it to invest in a spare battery. Yes, it’s annoying, but it’s better than abandoning your laptop.

Readers, what are your thoughts about this new policy?

****************************************************************************

Have a travel question or suggestion? Send it to RoadWarriorette @ gmail.com.

Follow Road Warriorette on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!

This post may include affiliate links. Thanks for your support!

The post Another reason to bring mobile chargers on international trips appeared first on Road Warriorette.

The post Another reason to bring mobile chargers on international trips appeared first on BoardingArea.

Continue reading...