Another Phuket caution :(

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by estnet, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://phuketwan.com/tourism/unsafe-phuket-resort-declines-compensate-robbed-aussie-tourists-15259/

Essentially travelers left a lot of stuff in room safe - came back to room to find door and room safe open, pretty clear it was an "inside" job, but hotel takes no responsibility per news report also not first time for same type of incident at this resort per trip advisor. Also other instance of lack of care for tourist well being (and ripoffs). All this in addition to the "usual" scams. When will they realize that they are driving tourists away in droves (IMHO)? What is wrong with the "powers that be" (yes I know, corruption)?
    There may be a sucker born every minute but some of us have memories and research our destinations. - sorry just couldn't resist.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds not too inviting, hope the authorities do something against this.

Why must people destroy a good thing?

Thanks for your caution and sharing this timely report with us.

PS....Hope the couple will get compensation from the resort, would not recommend to stay at this hotel at all, because of this!

sobore and Kalboz like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shocking indeed!!!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some more.....

Angry? You bet!!!

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are planning a trip to Thailand next year. The other couple is antsy about terrorism alerts but we are moving ahead at this time. The main destination was a Marriott timeshare in Phuket we are trying to trade into. After reading this, we will gladly skip Phuket. Anyone who goes has only themselves to blame if they are ripped off.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just downright pathetic and sad!!!

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although one cannot say it was a false alarm ... U.S. lifts terror alert from State Department website

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    False alarm or otherwise is not the point.

We, as Americans, have been taught that terrorism is something to be feared and to alter our lifestyle when it might effect us. Contrast this with the everyday presence of road fatalities which average slightly under 100 for 2009 (the last data i saw on quick search).

You can't say that road fatality numbers are a surprise to anyone. We are constantly reminded of the large numbers. But does anyone take their keys in the morning and say, 'Oh, maybe I shouldn't drive today, there's a chance I'll be killed in an accident.'?

I'd be willing to wager the odds of being killed in a car on an American road are higher than being hurt in a terrorist plot.

The public announcement of a potential risk is good. Altering plans because of a somewhat irrational fear isn't.

iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I believe that the US and other Embassies jumped into action this time around because they did not act in a prior instance, before the 2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai. The target of that attack was mostly Americans and Israelis in general and people of the Jewish faith in particular. What made that attack so particularly egregious is that one of the planners was a US agent, David Headley!!! Other examples of terrorist attacks that lacked prior warnings: Argentina, Turkey, etc. Therefore, the embassies, to avoid their nationals from being victimized, went ahead with the warning without "coordinating" with the Thai authorities.

As for your above example, you are right ... however, the media always dramatizes and sensationalizes terrorist attacks regardless of how relatively insignificant they are in comparison to road accidents or other crimes. IMO, if terrorists make you change your life-style, then they won the battle if not the entire war. Having said that, it does not mean that everyone has to live like you and me ... to each his own, my good man kwai! :)

sobore, kwai and iolaire like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though this isn't related to Phuket ... here we go! 3 bombs explode in Bangkok, four injured, Iranian bomber has legs blown off

Talking about being pissed-off at taxi drivers! :mad:
    [​IMG]

sobore likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's important to note that explosions from grenades are NOT bombs...and, based on news reporting, it looks like it was a combination of the two maybe...

Kalboz likes this.
  12. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.