Another offer - Buy or gift US Airways miles

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by FEV77, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an email this morning for a bonus for the next 5 days (through 12/20). I do not know if this is a public offer - I can't find it on the US Airways website (yet). The email was from about one hour ago.

In light of what is now known about the merger, would this be a good idea? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Here are the numbers:
    Buy or gift --- Get or give
    10,000 - 19,000 miles --- 50% more bonus miles
    20,000 - 29,000 miles --- 75% more bonus miles
    30,000 - 50,000 miles --- 100% more bonus miles

EDIT - yes, it is a public offer. Just found on the website:
    https://membership.usairways.com/en...miles/buymiles.html?CAMPAIGNCODE=USBuyLanding

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    I got the email too.

FEV77 likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I passed on the offer in September but bit on the early December one. I wonder what they're thinking with this promo - are they that desperate for cash in hand? Do they have a devaluation in mind? I keep dreaming that when they combine programs they'll look at total USAir miles earned by any means (the old AA rule), much like happened with UA/CO (they retroactively applied the more-generous CO rule of "all EQMs from any source" to our UA lifetime balances).

In any case: I see this as a likely win. 1.1CPM is a pretty good value. On the other hand, I haven't actually been burning US miles - I've had status with UA, with waived award fees, so I've been getting my star alliance awards through them. And if you're not using the miles, why buy them?

Correction: this offer is at ~1.8CPM, unlike the "share miles" offer of two weeks ago. At this price, I will not buy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Newscience and FEV77 like this.
  4. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also gift them - which might be useful for some.

If US Airways miles are 1:1 for AA, then (with the bonus) they are less expensive than buying AA miles.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's nothing short of amazing that this is the 3rd/4th (depending on how you count 'em) offer since September. What's different about this offer (offered once before since September) is that you can "get 100% bonus" when you buy or gift 50,000 miles. This adds up to ~1.88 cpm. The better offer was the "get 100% bonus" when you shared 50,000 miles (offered 2x since September), and that one worked out to ~1.1 cpm. That is, unless y'all have a different offer than the one I have (same as above). ;)

And, should with all these offers, can a devaluation be far behind? :eek:

6. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the key is to buy them now and buy some travel before the switchover from Star Alliance to One World. At least at the moment, this is a good-looking offer to me. I'm planning on buying this and doing some off-peak travel with it. Two tickets for my wife and I to Europe, and 30,000 points left in the points bank from it. Seems worth it to me.