Another heart-warming tale of a community reborn

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by jpatokal, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop me if you've heard this one before: a popular community is taken over by used car dealership Internet Brands and stagnates. Many members of the community decide to take matters into their own hands and build a replica, only with lots of cool features that were missing from the original. Lawsuits and legal acrimony ensue, but the new community takes off anyway and rapidly snowballs to astonishing success.

I am, of course, talking about what happened to the vBulletin forum software and its successor XenForo, the software that powers MilePoint. [​IMG] Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

And the unabridged version: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/internet-brands-claims-against-xenforo.4727/

2. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what's the point? IB has been digging its grave for years. Nothing new here.

There's an even longer version of the story in the vBulletin forums, for those who have access.

3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. The guys at IB were very bad about handling the community. Figures they support iphone/ipad but not android. Too bad I have almost zero reason to go back to their forums.

Oh wait, nothing bad about that.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's always Model Mayhem. ;)

In the mean time, do we really need all the hating of IB here? Seems rather unnecessary to me.

Freddie Listo and Grace like this.
  5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer Coke over Pepsi as a product, however, I believe Pepsi is a better managed company. There is no need to bash Pepsi for its product or Coke for its poor business practices. I let my purchasing decision do the talking. If you don't like IB and their product, just don't go back. They will eventually figure out they are losing market share and react accordingly.

sobore likes this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh I'm not hating on anyone. But the flat out truth of the matter is I have little to no reason to go there. The product is what it is and I was happy to have it when it was all it was. Now, there is something else. Times have changed and I do not have a reason to revisit at this time. That may change too.

but its nothing to do with hating anyone.