Another good Altitude 100 SE benefit that works

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, May 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I booked an Aeroplan ticket recently for my wife but could not get the exact flight her sister was on as it was sold out completely when I tried to book it. Flight came available this evening and I called AE with my CC at the ready. I had forgotten the first change on an AE ticket for SE's is now free. Nice little perk!!!

mtlfire, slalom and sobore like this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a kind of related question so I will hijack this convenient thread -- sorry! ;)

Right now it looks like I will drop from S100K this year to likely E75K next year. I'm still flying well over 100K miles, but with the pricing gaps between Tango and Flex I am hard-pressed to fly Flex for my work travel. So I am mentally preparing myself!

But I would like to hear from anyone who is at E50K or E75K level at the moment, how is the access to reward travel? As SE I have no trouble finding seats (in Y!) for just about any AC-operated flight, just click the "priority" checkbox on the AE site and they come right up, at base Classic prices. (Overseas J is a whole different story, though.) How is the availability if you are E50K or E75K?

3. tom, if you fly 100K but say 25K is in tango I think you could build a sympathy case for getting SE at leasr through next year as they sometimes give one time "amnesties". Keep that in mind. another thing is to do a mileage run that gets you even closer to 100K and maybe takes you over with a MR. the sympathy gets even easier then.
    PM me down the road and we can discuss a strategy.

As for seat availability as an E75 I would think that not a lot of people have yet to experience AE trips at that level as its only been in existence for a few months.

4. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:

n=1: I allowed myself to drop to E50 from SE; since March, I have been able to book NA J as well as interAsia J travel with very little trouble at the classic level. When I try to do the same from my son's E0 AE account, I do not see the availability. this is with or without priority rewards checked. I am rarely getting any priority rewards (the black bar) to show so that may be the biggest difference.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That sounds promising. I rarely use the concierge and as long as AC is forcing me into the Tango buckets the upgrades certs mean less anyway, so I think I can deal with E50 or E75.

Thanks. Not sure how much sympathy they'd have ... I have a 12.8K RT to NRT next week in Tango, $2000 premium to do Flex, that's completely insane.

Have yet to do an MR in about 10 years of top-tier status first on NW and more recently on AC!

6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guinness, is this still the case? Once again, I remain amazed at the opacity of AE rules and 'entitlements'. It's almost as if we were not intended to be able to make practical use of the programme. - - - Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm slow to cotton on to such realities. ^_^

YULtide likes this.
  7. Yes this is still the case and it will continue going forward. AC Wants to keep SE's well "perked"

8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I went ahead and tested it this past weekend and, oh by gosh golly, it worked! No charge, and the concierge gave me a lovely little chocolate bar as a parting gift. (Not Lindt: this was something **much** better, and well-savoured on my flight back out into the world).

p.s.: I also heard a couple of amusing anecdotes about people who'd forgotten their manners. Needless to say, I did offer my thanks. At least **that** part of my upbringing 'took'.

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Relatively.

10. The old saying about treating people well always helps

tomh009 likes this.
  11. I'm more than relatively happy;)

12. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm relatively less happy (about my SE benefits) than I was a few years ago. ;)

13. Life goes on. A few years ago was not realistic in terms of the freebies. I used to get enough points for a trip to Europe with three RT between YUL/YYZ back when. And no service charges or fuel surcharges.
    These days I get all my upgrades and more than enough points for my wife to always fly free and in J with three free bags allowed. After that it does go downhill.

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this include a cancellation free of charge?

15. I believe so but have not tried that.

16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (set $tirade=on) I'm in a funny situation as goes benefits, now. I make status based on segments every year (endless rounds of daisy-chained short single-class segments in northern and western Canada and the odd Z-fare trundle over to Asia or Britain). There's really not much opportunity for upgrades, unless I wish to flippantly 'burn' 4 eUs on a slightly larger seat and a chocolate-bar on the 1-hour hop from YEG to YVR. That's about it.

Access to additional J-cabin rewards is still a good thing: my next transcontinental trip to the MIT Library (via Logan) will be one such 'freebie'. If memory serves me correctly, the addfare for that was rough $120. Last weekend, I sawed through 10,000 pterodactyl points and $80 for a last-minute (and I mean, **last**-minute) 'freebie' from northern Canada out to one of the offshore islands of the West Coast. Again, that was a priority reward. I have no complaints there, and at that rate, it'll take me a long time to saw through the ~300 kilopoints in my account.

What continues to amaze me, though, is how poorly-documented the Altitude/Aeroplan programme rules and regulations are. Of course I can read English, or such jargon thereof that the AE boilerplate presents. It still is so opaque to this non-lawyerly grandmother that I cannot figure out just what I should be asking for.
    (set $tirade=off)

Honestly, if it were not for this particular discussion-board I think I'd be lost. Granted that we're all a wee bit scared of future 'enhancements' to the Altitude programme, at least we're maintaining our civility here, by and large. Thanks, muchly, for that.

Elane
    (who's just done what she seldom does: booked an upgrade into J-cabin for a short hop, simply so that she can rapidly be out the door and make her rather-sketchy 41-minute connection, fortunately without baggage).

YULtide likes this.
  17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't your wife's "free" flight in J to LHR cost you about $1,000 in scamcharges? A few years ago it was maybe $300 and there was a time when it was truly free.

18. Now that she is lifetime E50 I am buying her a flex ticket and using my ecerts to U/G Worked just fine this past week on short notice with a ticket cost of $1375. But if need be I can do it via AE and their scam charges

mevlannen likes this.
  19. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm....

Maybe I've hit the sweet spot of redemption value by booking award tickets from places in northern Canada where Air Canada holds a virtual monopoly. ^_^

I'm still not sure what to use for a comparison metric: apparent cents per seat-mile seems, somehow, tacky. :/

YULtide likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice but long overdue. Haven't paid an award change fee with MP or AA since becoming top tier elite (even 2nd from the top Plat with MP get unlimited changes free...and no fuel surcharges and most other fees too! Way to go AC/AE, one tiny little once-a-year benefit and your few supporters go ape batman over your generosity!

21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be doing the same (and need to make sure R>0), but Flex tickets aren't free either. :p

22. Agreed. But I'm not about to change my flight habits and go through some US hub. I value my time more than that. Besides how long will it be before US carriers stop picking up the LHR scam charge.

23. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the US carriers already make you pay the usurious (especially J/F) LHR tax. What they have yet to do is implement the dreaded YQ on award tickets - and more particularly the hugely inflated J YQ that AC has been steadily increasing even though fuel costs have not gone up.

24. I would think the Aeroplan/Ac business model may catch on with all the newly organized US Airlines