Another exercise in guesswork: service cutbacks due to Ebola fears?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mevlannen, Oct 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, we now see that the cabin crew have won the right to wear latex gloves if they see fit. The workplace-safety benefits of that choice should be beyond debate. My question, now, is at what point in time, and to what extent, does Air Canada elect to decrease or altogether cancel in-flight food and beverage service on grounds of safety?

Bonus marks, of course, to those of you who can cogently argue why this ought to happen, and also (to be fair!) unto those of you who can equally-cogently argue against such a course of action.

My own guess? We'll start seeing more BOB-style presentation of food and beverage items in sealed containers, so that the risks and liabilities of consumption are borne more by the passengers accepting such items, and less by the airline workers serving such items.

YULtide likes this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should further amplify that fear of cross-contamination is one of the reasons why some salad bars have 'sneeze guards' installed above them.

YULtide, viguera, ACMM and 1 other person like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... most Y class food is this way anyway is it not? The sad part is they could go this route and one FA not being judicious in their work could be a source of issue IMHO. Not saying they will be or are not judicious ... but given the way things seem to be spread and the lack of focus in the hospital in Dallas, not sure we can count on anyone to do a good job anymore. My 2-cents.

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we can generally count on people to do a good job. What we can't count on is for people to be infallible. It doesn't matter how diligent people are, human nature is such that anyone can suffer a lapse, or have an off day, or become complacent and let their guard down, or just plainly and simply make a mistake.

ACMM likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, it won't just be for safety. It will be for our safety and convenience. :D

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and based on customer feedback.

mevlannen, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 points to both YULtide and The Lev, for trenchant observations. Well played -- well played indeed!

YULtide likes this.