Another Difference Between CO & UA on Reward Travel for Someone Else

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by From NYC, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just redeemed an international ticket for someone on UA, having used the transfer miles between my CO & UA accounts successfully. The miles were available on UA within a minute.

What's different about doing it on UA comes down to my having paid for the taxes, etc. with my credit card. When I received the confirmation email from UA, I reviewed it and found a note that the credit card used to pay for the taxes, etc. had to be available at check-in. I've never had to do this when I've redeemed miles for someone else straight from OnePass.

I phoned UA, and was told that as long as I went to a UA counter before that person checked in, there'd be no problem, which could be an enormous pain. As it turns out, I should have a trip before my friend's, so I'll stop at the UA terminal in EWR to take care of this. But if I wasn't otherwise travelling, I'd have to make a special trip to an airport to have this done. That would be a significant pain in just about every part of my body.

I hope CO's policy takes effect when the merger's done.

I should add that the person I arranged the ticket for is in Winnipeg, while I'm in NYC. International rewards on CO haven't had this issue.

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    A LOT of United flight receipts include "The credit card used for this purchase must be presented at check-in."

(Looking back, I have 7 of these.) I have never actually had anyone ask for my credit card and have always been able to OLCI.

3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that others have been asked to show the credit card used for purchase at checkin, but in my experience, I've never been asked for the credit card used for purchase for any of my award tickets for friends or family.

4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that some might never get asked for this, but I can't take the chance that it happens in Winnipeg with the ticket I just arranged, and the procedure for overcoming it in advance (go to an airport counter) is onerous if you don't have any travel before the outbound date.

5. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, there's no guarantee that they won't ask for it, taking a chance could be a big mistake