Another Chase card or wait

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Jane Chan, Apr 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jane Chan

Jane Chan Member

Status Points:
    My strategy has always been applying for one or two cards at a time. So far, I have BA (annual fee next month), United Explorer, Marriott, Signature Visa (over 15 years old) Chase Sapphire, Southwest and Chase Ink Bold. Had the Continental but had to close to receive the Marriott.

The last 3 applications within 6 months are:

Mid November 2011- Marriott
    Mid Jan 2012 - United Explorer
    Mid March 2012 - Chase Ink

Is it "Safe" to apply for the "hyatt" card now? Does Chase Ink count as time between application?

2. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think u can go for it , just wait till MAY SO IT GOES INTO ANOTHER MONTH -- not so sure banks count months like we do --- if u need to give up a card to get Hyatt , BA is the logical choice ---- Many will say do not do it now -wait - allowed one card 6 months -- others 3 months -- the fact is I have received cards from Chase 45 days other people I know in 30 days days apart ---- I have 10 Chase open credit cards 3 biz and 7 personal -- yes it is a lot , I do have a 40 year credit history , but i think if ur credit score is high u can at least switch around cards or credit lines on cards and since u now have many cards with chase sounds like ur score is fine

good luck and give us the results

3. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting because when I just did a re-con they told me 5 was the limit of cards (all personal). However, I do know others who have 5+ cards with Chase as well (although they likely have a combo of personal and business). Seems like each rep decides what the limit is.

4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got approved for a new chase biz card and personal card ---today from chase -- so all the info we read about --not that the info is not true --- but it all depends on each individuals credit history/ situation--my advice is if they refuse , hang up and re-call ,even if u need to do this a few times ,good chance if your credit is o.k. and explain why you need the card it will be approved

5. snugglening

snugglening Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go for it may blogs say wait 90+ day between app or ramas, I think you should be more than fine. I have 3 cards with chase and plan on going for 2 more in the next week or so.

6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most likely you will be ok. I recently just got 3 Chase cards in the span of one week (Chase Southwest biz, United Explorer on the same day, and then the Ink Bold a week later. I wouldn't recommend this, but I wanted to get the Ink Bold before the minimum spend so I chanced it...and it worked out well.

Also, the amount of cards you can get with Chase really does vary, and I tend to think that the way you handle the reconsideration call makes a huge difference. Chase empowers their reps to make the decisions, so understanding how to make a reconsideration call is really important. I just wrote a blog post of the tips I find useful when making the reconsideration call, so maybe you can find it helpful:

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/6-rules-to-crush-your-reconsideration-phone-call/

I'd love to hear other people's opinions and thoughts on what they do during their reconsideration calls as well. Never helps to have a few extra tricks up the sleeve!

Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

jralexander14 likes this.
  7. jjoyce

jjoyce Active Member

Status Points:
    I've just completed 3 personal Chase cards (Marriott, United Explorer, Southwest) within 21 days. Fortunately for the third card, I had the BA card available for trade to get it approved. This leaves me with 4 personal Chase cards open at the moment with none I want to lose. So I won't be going for anymore Chase personal cards in the next 6 months or so since I know I'd be declined on any additional app and I will have nothing to offer for trade when I try the reconsideration route. I think that's one rule of thumb if you think you are on the bubble for getting a new Chase card: as long as you have at least one card you are willing to cancel and trade for the new card, you should be able to eventually get approved. Or if you have any inflated CL's on any of your cards that you are willing to spread to the new card, that might also be enough get approved.

8. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. I also don't usually like giving up a card outright, but sometimes, it may be unavoidable. I'd much rather trade some credit lines from what I don't use as much, which as has worked for me each time so far.

Right now, I've got 3 personal and 3 business cards and haven't had to close one out yet, but I think the day of reckoning may be coming next time I apply!

9. Jane Chan

Jane Chan Member

Status Points:
    Will apply for the card this weekend....but now I am wondering if I should apply for Hyatt for 2 free nights and $75 credit back, Priority Club for 80k points or Chase Freedom for 30k points.

I plan to apply for all 3 , about 4 -6 months apart for each one.

Which of the 3 would be best?
    Which offer do you think may not be around within a 14 months?
    Which offer is the best one seen so far and you don't think it would ever be duplicated?

10. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the PC card and Platinum has given me upgrades at CP. However, low AAA/Govt rates have made points not worth using. They add up very quickly.

I'm saving the Hyatt card for a bigger stay in Kauai. My plan is Bold/Freedom cards for UR points and a couple more Hyatt nights. You can always transfer UR points into Hyatt/PC if you can't get any cheaper hotel rates.

11. Jane Chan

Jane Chan Member

Status Points:
    Decided to apply for the Chase Freedom as I would only use the Hyatt for the 2 free nights. I already have my travel plan for a year and won't be able to use the certificates. I checked the hotels for PC and I could probably get 2 nights for where I want to go....that is reason for Chase Freedom.

Closed BA since annual fee coming in 2 weeks, spread CL to Freedom and Explorer cards.

Approved for Chase Freedom $300 ...I guess 800-795-6307 is not a scam which worried me initially. CSR did not ask for my Social Security number with application.