Another basic question about miles

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jvjones13, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I just found mine and my husband's Milelage Plus accounts (after years of inactivity) and we still have some lifetime miles. Yay!

But, I was looking at the mileage chart and want to know if I'm reading it right that to get an award flight from Nashville to Australia RT, I would need 160k points?

If so, why so many compared to AA's 75k requirement? Are they easier to earn than AA's?

Thanks for helping me navigate all this!

Julie

marcwint55 and ACMM like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    160k is the standard award, 80k is the saver award (both coach). Standard awards have no capacity controls, so if there is just one coch seat left, they give it to you for 160k. But you probably want to use the saver award, which is the same as the 75k award level for AA (I haven't verified that number).

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! I think you'll find people to be helpful and friendly.

When you say "lifetime miles" that generally means the total miles flown over the life of the account; it doesn't necessarily mean those miles are available to spend. At the same time, there are much smarter UA people on this forum than me, so I'll let them weigh in.

Again, welcome!

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Lifetime miles have only value as eventual means to get lifetime status and for bragging rights on Flyertalk and here (and perhaps generate sympathy from your friends). You can't book awards with them.

marcwint55, Wageslave and guberif like this.
  5. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, glad you guys pointed that out about the "lifetime" miles. I have zero miles available to me now. Boo! But, I did find an old Delta account with some active miles on it. I don't even remember signing up for that one. If I'd had Northwest miles, would they have transferred over there? I did fly to the UK on Northwest a number of years ago (about 7) so they might be defunct by now anyway.

Okay, with the "saver" award vs "standard" award with Milelage Plus, does that just constitute booking early so you can get the saver awards? Or maybe figuring out which of the Star Alliance airlines has the saver awards available going to my destination?

And when you are trying to figure this out do you ring the airline or look online?

Thanks! I feel like I'm uncovering buried treasure finding all these old FF programs I signed up for years ago! :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Really depends on the airline where you have the miles and which airlines you want to fly on. For example, UA is part of Star Alliance. Star Alliance also has Lufthansa and numerous other airlines. If you only want to fly UA or LH, then using the United site is good. However, if you want to use your UA miles on ANA, Thai, Air China etc., then you will either need to check various online tools (Like ANA) or call UA to check availability. Even if the other online sites show availability, UA may not have the awards available to them.

As for Saver vs Standard awards, one of the main differences is that Standard awards are not available on partner airlines. Saver awards, on the other hand, may become available 11 months ahead of the flight (or any other time) or they may never become available for a specific flight - but Standard awards are typically available until close to the last seat is sold. For example, LH F awards (which are saver by definition) typically only become available, if at all, a couple of weeks before the flight.

I know it is confusing but hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Wageslave and marcwint55 like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have Delta miles, they do not have an expiration date at present. Northwest miles did transfer to Delta. Booking early does not guarantee that saver will be available, although it does help. It is determined by how many seats are still available, If you fly to a destination in the off season for that destination, you have a much better chance.

I would look online first and if you can't find something, it never hurts to call the airline.