Another bad mark on thrifty car rental

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by milerunner, Jun 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    A $30/day upgrade for a pickup truck with no power windows or locks, regardless of it being a truck I consider it a downgrade and I will dispute the upgrade fee! Agree or disagree?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you signed a rental agreement and was charged the amount that's on it, then you don't have a dispute but a buyer's remorse.
    However, if you found the vehicle satisfactory upon pickup, but it developed some defect during the rental -- then you didn't receive everything that was agreed to, and can reasonably ask for compensation.

traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you chose to upgrade to a truck...I assume you needed it for truck things, and you do not seem to have complaints on that. You chose to upgrade to a special purpose, utilitarian vehicle.

traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with MX and mattsteg. For $30 upgrade - and you don't say how much the initial rental was - you got a pickup truck. Rental car companies always charge a hefty premium for pickup trucks, and $30 is a reasonable upgrade cost. No power windows and locks? Did you also expect satellite radio and a sunroof? IMHO, you got what you paid for - no more, but no less.

MX likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    What kind of weapon did the agent use to force you to accept the upgrade?

Newscience likes this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just rented a Dodge pick-up truck 5.7 litre Hemi for $110 a week in Florida, leather seats, all power, awesome ride :eek:

Newscience and MX like this.
  7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    No offense, but what stopped you to go to the rental counter/booth and request a downgrade back to your original rental category before leaving the lot?

I've gone back to the rental booth numerous times with all sorts of car rental providers for a myriad of reasons: not satisfied with the car [mechanical problems], the fuel tank not being completely full, the specific car having inferior luggage capacity compared to other car makes/models within a given category.

Never have I experienced issue with the booth meeting my request to change cars.

If at the point of returning to the rental counter/booth Thrifty refused to give you your original car and lower price, there might be justification for filing a dispute with the credit card company used for the rental. I say might, because if you agreed to an upgrade and that category car is no longer available, technically it's you breaching the rental agreement, when you agreed to the paid upgrade.

They call it a rental agreement for a reason.

Newscience likes this.