Another AC "enhancement"?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Stephan, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm sure I'm wrong, but one ponders where this might lead...

http://business.financialpost.com/2...omy-seating-on-some-planes-next-year-sources/

Could it be that perhaps in the not too distant future we'll all be benefitting from all those wonderful T+ fares and their 100% upgrade ability for elites (due to weeding out of bottom feeders) from Y to...wait for it...
    Y+ !

But then I'm sure we'll still be able to upgrade straight to J at enhanced rates...

2. I think you will become a FF'er on Air Transat eventually. AC competes in a world where airlines like CX have first ,business and premium economy seats and are losing that battle over the Pacific. As non stop flights get longer and longer the need by passengers for premium services and seats only grows.

Yes the cost will go up if it reduces the number of seats on the plane. Airline economics being what they are your particular pocket book needs to exapnd its horizons. ;)

By the way that article is from November and has already been discussed

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The trend of Y->Y+ as an upgrade is already out there. Air France does it and Delta SWUs only apply to that one-cabin upgrade. British Airways is the same; Virgin Atlantic, too. The only thing making such an outcome not a foregone conclusion IMO is the Star Alliance upgrade program. All participants still process upgrades there from coach to business, not to premium economy. Then again, they also require a Y or B fare (with a few, limited exceptions) so it still isn't apples-to-apples.

As Premium Economy fills the gap between economy and business it will necessarily fit in between the two in pretty much all aspects of the travel experience. That will likely be a downgrade for customers who purchase economy and use miles to upgrade to the next cabin. Even if those purchases are on M/H/Q fares. Airlines would rather sell the biz seats outright than upgrade passengers into them. That goes for all upgrades, not just the cheapest ones.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC has at least one 777 in the shop being converted. Rumour has it (from FAs) that the rear J cabin will be converted into Premium Economy, thus reducing J to the 20 or so pods in the front cabin. Because of the location of the second door/galley/washrooms, either some J will remain in this second cabin and the partition (now J/Y) will be moved back and a chunk of economy seats will be removed as well as rows of J to accommodate the new cabin.

Definitely reduces upgrading from T+ and even Latitude so further devalues all the elite tiers. Certainly glad I made the move to AA and UA where even the new refurb cabins have twice the number of business class seats for upgrade potential, and usually enough unsold to give a reasonable chance to make it off the wait list. Guess it's good news for the likes of G/P who resents upgrading by the ranks of the elite tiers.

(BTW posted from a comfortable seat in the front cabin of AA453, YYZ-DFW, en route to HNL -- also in F -- with GoGo wifi.)

5. I am calling you on that comment about a 777 being in the shop with Y+ seats being added and J being reduced. Two knowledgeable people at AC have just told me, after reading your post, "as usual" you are dead wrong and no 777 is being currently retrofitted.

6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I apologize if it is old news. So, what you are saying then, is that it is their long term strategy to reduce the J availability in favour of Y+, but it isn't currently happening?

From your comments, I guess we'll not see you in Y+ then - sitting among the bottom feeder plebes who do not have expanding pocketbooks (even with 100% upgrade percentage)? ;) Glad someone will be keeping the remaining J filled with paid business fares. However, I'm not sure others on a tighter budget or with company caps on travel costs will feel the same way about the product quality of our favorite institution. I guess the AC business model is: Who cares! Pay up or go elsewhere. AC obviously sees only better days ahead...

7. I can only say that the airline knows where its bread is buttered. If they do put in premium Y seats it will have been done with a full economic study of their competitors and market demands. CX sells out their TPAC flights regularly in both F, J and premium Y. China Southern and other mainland carriers have or will have similar configurations. BA has the ability to put F,J and premium Y on their TATL flights to Canada and actually do so, I believe, on one of their YYZ flights. So, it will be pay up or ride in the back. AC needs an alomost fullly paid J cabin for most of the year in order to make a profit on TPAC flights. Having premium Y will allow them to partially satisfy the FF'er need for "upgrades" and still sell J as THE ultimate product.