Annual Rental Car "Drive Out" Can Really Pay Off

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

The seasonal shuffle of car rental inventory from Florida to other areas of the country is now in gear.

Every year at this time, rental cars need to move from their winter homes in Florida to fan out across the country with the assistance of drivers who get a break on rental rates.

Known as the Florida Drive Out, rates are as low as $9.95 a day for economy to full-size cars with unlimited miles.

I thought it would be a fun and affordable way for me to start my summer "Getaway, Not Far Away" series giving me a chance to include some Florida stories into the mix of the planned coverage along the eastern seaboard.

Participating rental car companies include Hertz, Alamo, National and Enterprise, offering this deal at airport and off-site locations around the Sunshine State.

The off-site locations have fewer taxes than the airport, but their hours are limited and can require an extra taxi fare to get there, so you have to factor that in along with the one way airfare to pick up the car.

Read More:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Interesting. Do they do the reverse in the Fall to get cars to Florida?
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

As a funny side note, I once got a 1-way Florida drive down from National from LGA for $5/day, first tank of gas free. As an Emerald Club member they told me to go to the garage and pick any car I wanted from the second floor. There was exactly ONE car on the second floor. Gee, thanks.
    servo, daninstl and Counsellor like this.