Annual (Re)Qualification Status update: Million Miler and EXP

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jbcarioca, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the rules changed at the end of 2011 I heard several people say they'd never requalify and/or never get another million miles. I was one of them.

I just requalified as EXP today and passed 8 million miles in early April. Thanks to the remaining MM qualifying card, the Citi World Exec MC, I have a chance to make 9 million MM still this year. (I do a lot of reimbursable expenses, all on that card, at least for 2012).

Frankly I am amazed. I did not actually expect to do this so soon after the rules changed.

How have you done?

2. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still a long way from my first MM let alone a multiple, but well on the way to EXP requal for the year. 18K miles left to go, I think, and all but about the last 4K or so are booked and ticketed between now and the end of August.

3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been pouring it on to my Citi World Exec MC here lately in order to reach my 1st MM status. I am hoping to make a sizable dent into it before the end of the year. jbcarioca, will you keep the card after this year?

jetsetboy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it would take me more time to get to the 2nd Million! But I just realized that I'm 2 EXP years Away!!! When the changes were announced I had 1,4M, and after a lot of efforts, flying, MR, buying, Dinner Rewards, every single penny of a mile, today I'm with 1,8M, so 2 years of EXP away!! I think that's not to bad!!!

5. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gotten EXP earlier in the year when it was added to the CK benefits and qualified with BIS miles about 2 weeks ago. Currently my lifetime total is around 4.8 Million about 800,000 was added after the change last year mainly thru Credit Card spent.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, 8MM, almost 9MM!

I qualified back in January with the DEQM and the TEQM (can't remember the real name of the promo). Almost at 3MM now...

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost certainly not. The only value it has for me is MM and the dubious one for AAdmirals clubs.

travelmommy and perryplatypus like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dinner rewards and buying miles since the program helped you move closer to 2M???
    Hmmm I better call AA about this something must be seriously wrong with my account:rolleyes:

perryplatypus likes this.
  9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think it's clear that I mentioned that this happenned between the announcement and the Effective Changes to the program to BIS miles only! If I wasn't specific enought, let me be clear, when they announce the changes, I did what I could to maximize my earning efforts, of course dinner rewards wasn't to much of a help, but even 3k miles per month makes a difference in my opinion, and I bought every single mile I could, through the website and the airport kiosks, just until the changes, that little sprint helped me on maximizing the miles to make the gap to 2 MM less painful, since my contract will be expiring next year and I don't know what will happen to me and my earnings potentials via BIS miles.

10. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they give you any gift at the 8MM mark?

perryplatypus and jetsetboy like this.
  11. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, 8m. That's amazing. JB why did you have to brag? Now I'm really jealous. :p

12. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the Citi Exec World Elite MC and have put on 800,000 miles valid towards million miler status since the change in December. I'm currently sitting at 21.5 million miler miles. I know I'll reach 22 million miles but I am also pretty sure I should make 23 million before the end of the year. I hope AA renews the ability to earn million miler miles or I'll probably stop my spend on this card. I already have lifetime Admirals club and Citi doesn't credit me back anything so I am paying for a second membership. I have to up my credit line as my heavy spend is in summer and my card currently only has a $100k limit. I talked to customer service and they told me the highest possible limit is $250k. I still have my business Advantage card with a $300k limit but since no million miles I stopped using it. I hope AA realizes that many of us will start looking for other cards to switch spending to. I have the grandfathered United PresidentialPlus personal and business card and might switch to those since spending on them can get me to United Platinum level.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, the same 4 evip and new bag tags that happen every million. That is it.

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    People on MP have more than twice that!

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Doesn't diminish your accomplishment. How much was CC and how much was flying?

perryplatypus and jetsetboy like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prepay the card about once per week and manage to keep the flow that way. You can wire any
    Amount and have it available immediately. Silly, but it works.

17. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have gone over the limit since they allow it. My hard limit is $100k but have allowed me to go to $150k. Last year I had a few months of over $500k spend. Online it only allows 5 payments per month. Also it affects my FICO score when I charge and use the full amount of the credit line and would prefer not to always keep hitting the upper end of the line all the time.

18. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still impressive though.

19. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the bleep do you people do for a living that has you flying/spending that much? If you don't mind me asking :D My government job just isn't getting it done, lol

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  20. travelmommy

travelmommy Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm half way to EXP. Hopefully I'll be there in december! :)

21. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP travelmommy!

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I manage investments and do some consulting.Many occupations seem to have such opportunities. Most of the really high miles accumulators I know live in one or more places and work in places far, far away.

perryplatypus and DCtrAAveler like this.
  23. travelmommy

travelmommy Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks dear friend!

24. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't you need a legal assistant? ;)

25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do, and much more than that. My flying has slowed. I lost Delta Diamond this year, BA Gold last year, and will probably lose US CP this year. I also lost JJ Black. All I have left now is EK and AA.