In Progress Annoying pop up when using Safari on ipad instead of app

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Pat89339, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are times I prefer using the Safari browser, rather than the iPad app. For the past few days, I've been getting this pop up

I already have the app, but I am choosing not to use it. It is very annoying to have pop up every time I transition to another forum. I get it. It really really really wants me to use the app. Isn't one pop up enough? Doesn't it know I already have the app downloaded? It's like having someone looking over my shoulder telling me that I'm doing some thing wrong every few minutes.

Please make it stop, or only pop up once. Thanks.

Attached Files:

LIH Prem and iolaire like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, seems like a setting was changed to make the popup no longer once per cookie duration, to something much more frequent.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since yesterday, I frequently get a dialog popup on my iPad when looking at MP using Safari. It tells me there is an app for it (I know). In the past, tapping Cancel stopped this dialog from popping up again, but now I see it pretty much every time I visit the "What's New" page .... Anyone else seeing this problem?

sdm1130, TRAVELSIG and FriendlySkies like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have this problem with the Ipad when using Safari and iOS 5.1.1 on Ipad.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I now get this once per session on my iPhone. Given I have a tinny professional browser its unneeded.

6. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. We haven't adjusted any settings that I'm aware of related to the mobile app. The popup is supposed to set a cookie that prevents it from displaying again if the user presses "Cancel". By any chance do either of you have your Safari settings set to disallow cookies?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I do allow cookies.

That said, today and yesterday I didn't see the issue.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too, But I see it every time I read a thread, go to a ne page,basically anything. very annoying.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it a third-party cookie? That could also be the source of the issue, as "From visited" is the default setting for Safari for security reasons.

10. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I frequently access MP via its RSS feed. (I use an app that consolidates content from multiple forums, so using a separate app for each forum defeats this very purpose.) Lately, the pop-up has been appearing on every article I try to access from the RSS feed.

If anyone has a workaround for this issue, I'd appreciate it!

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, even though I reported the issue on 7/23 and saw it for a few days, I have NOT seen it in about two weeks. And I use my iPad to access MP day and night (as in, first thing in the morning, last thing at night... in between I try to get some work done).

12. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish that were true for me. Even if it were once per day, I could live with it, but using the Flipboard app (on Android) today, I got the popup every time I view a MP thread. :(

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you see the same if you use the actual Android web browser to navigate around the site?

14. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When using my phone, I don't normally view Web forums with the Android Web browser due to the need for constant scrolling. But based on your prompting, I used the Android Web browser to access MilePoint, and I got the popup -- but only once.

I then went back to Flipboard, and in my brief testing, I was able to view several threads without having the popup appear!

It's possible that when Flipboard invokes the Android Web browser, MilePoint's cookie isn't being set properly for whatever reason. But after using the Android Web browser directly (and getting the popup only once), the cookie is set properly (and can be read properly when Flipboard subsequently invokes the browser).

I don't want to jinx myself, but I am cautiously optimistic that you have led me to a workaround. I don't know if it's temporary or permanent, but even if it lasts only a day, I'll be very happy. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.