Annoyed at United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hopscotch1, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying to OGG on Saturday with my family. I used miles to get my wife & kids into first class. I appled CR-1s to the ticket when I purchased mine months ago. The upgrade has yet to clear, but they have sent me an email offering the 1st class seat for sale.

American has just bumped my wife to platinum.

Felt like venting.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity, how much did they want for the upgrade?

alohastephen likes this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the "new UA" and understand the venting.

hulagrrl210, alohastephen and EX-LAX like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately upgrade space was still available when I applied my CR1s to an upcoming SEA-SFO-OGG. I have simply resolved never to buy tickets for flights I want an upgrade on unless that space is there at booking. (Not meaning to put the blame on the OP... I have simply resigned myself to lower expectations and adjusted behavior accordingly. Venting is fair.)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd never get to go anywhere (well, other than Hawaii... those seem to have lots of availability) anymore. But so far all my SWUs have eventually cleared. And why wouldn't they? UA isn't suddenly selling tons more to business travelers, and I don't think they are ultimately doing a lot of upsells, despite the fears expressed here. For most people the $500+ each way is a ton of money.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just don't like uncertainty. But I'm learning to adjust... slowly...

hulagrrl210, alohastephen and AZjohn like this.
  7. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    As most of us have realized, as of late, it's all about making money for the airline, PERIOD!

Loyalty is second in priority which the O/P has discovered the hard way.
    CR-1's and SWU's are one step above employee's on passes, and doing the Stand-By-Shuffle" is a promenade right, an all-a-man left, and do-se-do step lower than the "Upgrade Rumba", at the gates.

Purchasing an upgradeable international fare and being wait-listed with a SWU is much more costly and terrifying than an attempt to sit with the family to OGG & back.

Like others above me have indicated, if you can't see N/F's when purchasing you may as well go all in on RED, and at least have a 50% chance (minus the O &OO) of winning! It's a crap shoot anymore and checking one's itinerary and the loads daily is a exercise in futility, that is unless you're lucky, or a real good dancer!

8. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key lesson for them to learn is that if they treat customers the right way, making money will be effect.

;)

Lufthansa Flyer and AZjohn like this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    They sent me email offering for me to buy up to F when I was traveling in F.

Don't feel slighted.

The new United: Everything is perfect and getting better every day.

-David

10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you do it? :)

LIH Prem likes this.
  11. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double upgrades are strictly verboten!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be more concerned about their upgrade logic to be circular:

Y->C->F->Y->C...

:D

Lufthansa Flyer and EX-LAX like this.
  13. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    May I remind you sir that "Logic" has no bearing on the rhyme nor reason as to how or why each individual g/a makes their boarding announcements in different geometrical patterns, thus proving once & for all who's running the show!

AZjohn and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it was offered by an airline :)

EX-LAX likes this.
  15. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You bring up a very interesting point. It's almost as if United doesn't realize that people aren't stupid. The OP has a right to be upset that they're trying to sell him the upgrade.

Let me be clear: I have no problem with United doing what it has to to make money. It's very easy for a bean counter (who aren't idiots, by the way; I'm friends with several) to think, "Wow, I can sell this seat for $XXX and, if it doesn't work, I'll still give it away. Why should I give it away up front?" It's a measurable quantity and, to some extent, it's what revenue management systems are for.

The problem comes when you get people like Scott, who think, "Hmm, I could buy the ticket and hope for the upgrade, but I know from past experience that they are going to try and sell it first. Why should I bother?" That is not a measurable quantity. So the bean counter can say, at the end of the year, "I earned an extra $XXX... in revenue for United without having to account for potentially lost revenue from people who didn't book in the first place.

The problem for us, however, is that I think they probably make more money off selling the upgrades than they lose in lost booking revenue from people like Scott. We FTers are very cognizant of CR1s vs. paid upgrades. Most customers likely just throw up their hands and say, "Whatever."

Mike

16. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what is going on with OGG lately. I fly there probably 6 times a year and i haven't missed an upgrade in at least 3 years. In fact most the time I get cleared 72 hours out- doesn't matter if I am going through SFO or LAX and i am almost always on the cheapest ticket available. At the same time on our last trip there my dad who is also 1p never cleared while he paid almost double for his ticket. We were on different flights a few hours apart, otherwise I would have given him my seat. Early December usually has light loads, so I really cant figure out why he never cleared when we did. To make things worse it was his million mile flight and there was no recognition of that whatsoever. He also got similar emails in the days leading up trying to sell him the seat. Super-tacky.

Scottrick likes this.
  17. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, no. If you spend the right amount of money you will be treated the right way.

18. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but "Million Milers" are a dime a dozen in the eyes of MP. I passed 2 MM's a few years ago and received my engraved IPad, about 6 weeks after selecting it --- That's all!
    Actually, I should have chosen the secret decoder ring that spelled out, "Drink your Ovaltine"!
    Really, the "Thank you for being a Million Mile 1K" when you call res has as much importance as, "Will you be needing a Hertz rental car when you get to to your destination"?

It's ALL ABOUT what can you do for us in the future and NOT what have you done in the past!
    --- That's all, folks!!!

19. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude! You totally could have been flying the plane! ;)

20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My dad actually says he's excited about finally being a million miler because it means he doesn't have to fly United anymore. I'm pretty sure he's taking his lifetime gold and status matching at another airline. Congrats on your 2MM.

dhammer53 likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's all dependent on ones needs and expectations. With the "bump" from the CO and UA EQMs I expect to reach "dime a dozen" million miler status in 2-3 years. Assuming the benefits remain as announced for 2012, it will be useful to us as it will reduce the pressure for my wife to reach status on her own, which in turn will mean we can use award miles for her travel more often than today. That can be measured in $$. Until they announced the MM program changes, the MM goal had not really been a consideration for me as it was too far out in the future and with more limited benefits for us.

What do other businesses do for you based on past purchases? If I go to the Apple store tonight, do you think the thousands of dollars I have spent in the past on Apple gear matter when it comes to standing in line waiting for someone to sell me a mouse? And I sure as heck won't get a discount.

There's that aspect as well. I will become freed from the pressure of booking UA to maintain status. If I want to take a year exploring AA, I can do that once I am MM.

mht_flyer and hulagrrl210 like this.
  22. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well my upgrade cleared. I checked this morning, so about 36 hours to departure.

To answer some questions, I never checked how much the upgrade would have cost, because no matter the amount I wasn't go to pay. Since, I felt that my upgrade was going to clear. I've never missed an upgrade as a 1K on a CR-1. But I guess there would always be a first time.

Also, I hear the only booking a flight with upgradeable space available, but I thought that was similar/same as award space. Since I am flying with my wife, 3 year old, & 15 month old, I booked two seats with miles using up the upgrade/award space. Then purchased my seat w/cash and applied CR-1s & waited for the release of additional space. I have always looked for upgrade space by looking for award space. My question is am I doing this wrong. (I don't have expert flyer.)

For work, I travel UA and have my wife do American. I believe in diversity of miles. I am noncommittal about UA next year due to devaluation of mid-tier status and may choose something else. I just feel that UA is not giving love to the mileage junkie flyer who knows the system and appreciates the upgrades.

mht_flyer and hulagrrl210 like this.
  23. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades are in the NC (business) and NF (first) fare buckets. Awards are in XY (coach) XC (business) and XF (first). If you turn on expert mode on United.com and search for award travel, you'll see these fare buckets.

CO uses different codes, though United will be moving to the CO system in the near future (shocking I know).

24. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on the 2-3 year MM plan as well all because of the CO "bump" and without the spouse match, I'd probably be exploring AA as we speak, but its too hard to be this close to just walk away from any form of lifetime status, especially for 2 people. It might sound crazy to reward United's bad business by giving them more or my business but I'm actually going to try and make 1K from now on to get the process over with sooner while keeping the 100% RDM bonus (something I need justify mileage running/redeeming vs. buying tickets on certain routes). I guess the good news about their "bad business" is that I'm currently sitting on almost $1,000 worth of stockpiled e-certs from complaining about it, which supplements the cause rather nicely.

AZjohn likes this.
  25. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    lol, I just did a double take and then deleted it.

-David

TAHKUCT likes this.