Announcing RewardsPlus

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Today we’re pleased to announce RewardsPlus, a powerful new extension to the existing partnership between MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards. In addition to improving the value of points and miles for active members of each program, RewardsPlus will also offer strong reciprocal travel benefits, such as Marriott Rewards Elite status, valid at over 3,700 hotels and resorts worldwide. Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus, but here are some of the highlights:

Starting today:
    • Access to Complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status: Starting today, MileagePlus Premier Gold members (and higher) can register to receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, which includes benefits such as lounge access and free breakfast (at select locations), room upgrades (subject to availability at check-in) complimentary internet access, priority late check-out, bonus points, and more. Similarly, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite (top-tier) members can register to receive Premier Silver status in MileagePlus.

Coming soon:
    • New Miles-to-Points Transfer: We’re introducing the ability for Premier members (at all levels) to convert MileagePlus award miles into Marriott Rewards points at a 1-to-1 ratio, up to 50,000 miles per year.
    • Improved Points-to-Miles Transfer: We’re improving the rate at which all members can convert their Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles by offering a 20% discount off the number of points required for miles. This will be the leading conversion rate for transfer of Marriott Rewards points into airline miles.
    • Improved Mileage Earning on Travel Packages: We’re adding 10% more MileagePlus award miles when members redeem for a Marriott Rewards Air and Hotel Travel package using points transferred from a Marriott Rewards account – a bonus of up to 12,000 miles.

You can register for complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status starting today, by going to www.united.com/rewardsplus. The enhanced points and miles features are coming in August–stay tuned for more information on how to take advantage of these, as well.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

8MiHi, icurhere2, unavaca and 13 others like this.
  2. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see more benefits.

travelingmore likes this.
  3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Aaron. It looks like you correctly assessed that this was something to look forward to.

FortFun and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Registered. Thanks, Aaron!

travelingmore likes this.
  5. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Allow me to be the first to throw cold water on this, if even partly sarcastically.

1) Great, pick a hotel chain that's even worse at giving it's elites upgrades than UA.
    2) Really wish it had been Hyatt.
    3) You guys really aren't trying anymore, are you? Basically...we see Delta make an announcement and in four months, we'll see United make one. At least we know what to expect when DL goes to revenue-based chart.
    4) 1Ks and GSs should get Plat or a cut above Gold, because, you know, we're better.

It's not bad, and it could be far worse but I'd like to see UA innovate and not copy. Instead of following DL's lead and wasting money implementing and marketing their marginal programs (I can't think of anyone who uses DL because of their SPG tie up or vice versa) create something new that further makes MP the envy of the loyalty industry.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great add! The free breakfast is a good perk that I like a lot for leisure travel. Also, Marriott status is one of the tougher ones to get without a credit card, so this is very welcomed.

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sign-up process was fast and easy. It automatically retrieved my Marriott Rewards number and advised me my new Marriott Gold Status would be active in 7-10 days. Nice work! Thanks!

desamo and mht_flyer like this.
  8. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    You couldn't be more wrong about this. I've been top-tier with Marriott for years and have rarely not been upgraded even when checking in mid-week.

That being said, as a UA 1K and a MR Platinum Premier with ample points balances in both programs, there really is no discernable benefit to me in this promotion.

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this. I now have mid-tier status with Hyatt (through CC), SPG (through CC), and Marriott (through UA). Between these three chains, I'm pretty happy with my options. I could get Hilton through a CC, but not worth it to me, especially after the points devaluation.

10. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    meh.

Am I the only one that wants UA to get its house in order before anything else? I can't even pull-up future reservations on the website this a.m. And we all know how I feel about UA's inability to reliably maintain a schedule.

I mean, I guess this is nice. Sometimes I have to stay at a Marriott (especially when UA strands me somewhere). Certainly not one to turn down an incremental benefit.

rggale and goalie like this.
  11. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see this merely as a very minor incremental benefit. It's unlikely to have people jumping up and down with excitement initially as most people either already have status with Marriott or are not interested in Marriott. I fall into the latter category but, as it costs me nothing, I might sign up. I've never stayed in a Marriott and hope I won't have to but I suppose stranger things might happen.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Gold status is equivalent to Hilton Gold(free breakfast, executive floor access, and free internet), but it is much harder to obtain requiring 50 nights or the Ritz Carlton credit card, so this is a welcome addition for Mileage Plus Gold elites and higher. These are the type of benefits United should be adding to its elite program.

8MiHi, desamo, unavaca and 1 other person like this.
  13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    PRAISES BE TO THE d.r.S.L.! The new Marriott benefit is awesome!

14. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no benefit that UA can offer that will appeal to everyone (just look at the interminable million miler threads for evidence). There are a number of things the airline can do to improve, but in the meantime, this isn't a bad benefit (and I find it much more useful than the DL/SPG partnership, which I also signed up for, since about half my hotel stays are in Marriotts but I don't stay often enough to get beyond Silver, which is not a particularly useful status level.) I guess, as is typical, my response falls somewhere in between Black Cloud's and HeathrowGuy's.

At the very least, it will make your treatment that much better should you find yourself in a Marriott for whatever reason.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's nice. Makes it easy to swap my back-up hotel program from Hilton to Marriott.

So that's a win for the folks at Marriott in the sense that they'll get the 20 or so nights a year that don't have an SPG option.

And I guess it makes 1K marginally more valuable. So that's nice.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

16. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong. I think it's nice. An "enhancement" to the MP program in the true sense of the word.
    I just wish they'd improve in their area of core competency (selling airline tickets and flying airplanes).

rggale, Misplaced Texan and goalie like this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at least it wasn't bad news, even if it's not blowing people away.

Cup half full, I suppose. :)

goalie and NYCUA1K like this.
  18. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    One could make the argument that MileagePlus is the primary marketing advantage of UA at the moment, and thus offering true improvements to the program is a way of making the airline attractive for customers while they get their act together operationally.

19. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather than spending its resources trying to attract customers with gimmicks, perhaps the airline could improve the flight experience by rolling back the clock - perhaps beginning with reasonable leg room in economy, good hot meals, etc. as in the good old days. That will draw passengers, not "points." This is also another step to penalize frequent flyers - elite benefits can be had by using a credit card, staying in hotels, and not flying. If you want to increase your business, be nicer to the people who use your services - not somebody else's.

Max M, viguera and goalie like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA MP folks clearly thought it would be good news because they chose to roll it out on a Monday rather than late on a Friday. ;)

I also do agree with the 'cup half full' assessment. As a loyal Hilton Honors Diamond, it is unlikely that I would take advantage of this new program in a significant way. However, I have been to places (e.g., Taipei, Jakarta, Ho Chi Minh City) where Hilton has no presence at all and had to book stays at Hyatt, my fallback program. Since MAR Rewards Golds seem to get more perks (e.g. free breakfast) than do Hyatt Plats, which I am, I now have a second fallback program that is almost as ubiquitous as Hilton in terms of properties worldwide.

For those who are familiar with the MAR Rewards program, could you comment on how reliably these Gold elite perks are dolled out and the caveats, if any? I suspect that they would be quite good in Asia, my favorite destination:
    • Lounge access
    • Free breakfast (at select locations)
    • Room upgrades (subject to availability at check-in)
    • Complimentary internet access
    • Priority late check-out
    • Bonus points
    Just on paper, those perks seem to be as good as HH Golds', except that the latter probably enjoy better upgrade benefits than do the MAR Golds.

BTW, this tweet "A new rewards experience is coming for our MileagePlus® members. Find out more soon" did provide a clue about what was coming -- the Marriott Rewards Program, of course!:D

unavaca likes this.
  21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stay at Marriott properties often, but it's always the result of a Priceline bid. My company pay for my hotel, so I view it as my money. Taking money out of one pocket and putting it in the other doesn't do a thing.

Priceline stays don't earn a point or a mile. Marriott, however, does allow points to be earned on expenditures during a Priceline stay, while Hilton does not. I wonder if this benefit will do anything for travelers like me. I guess I'll know soon enough.

There are rare occasions where I book a Marriott directly. LGA is one example. The direct price is the same as the Priceline price there, so I opt for earning the points. I'll enjoy the perk on those two or three nights/year that I stay on a directly booked reservation, even if they don't apply on Priceline stays.

There is no perk in the world that will cause me to quit paying half price for hotels just to get some points. I save a small fortune by booking on a bid basis, and cash is king.

22. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

First, the answering part:

- Lounge access is much more consistent than with Hilton, as you do not need to be placed on the concierge level to get access
    - Works as advertised. Recently, free breakfast was expanded to the weekends. Outside of the US, lounges are usually open 7 days a week, with good spreads
    - Room upgrades: so-so. You often need to ask, and sometimes get lied to.
    - Internet access: never had a problem getting it
    - Late check-out: depends on the property
    - Bonus points: works consistently.

Now for the gripe:
    - Why do Marriott top elites only get UA Silver? Should we not qualify for reciprocal lounge access, and thus receive UA Gold?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

AaronInBKK and NYCUA1K like this.
  23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today's business is all about synergies with other entities. The biggest case in point is the relentless promotion of the credit card (someday I'll figure out why it's so big for all the airlines to push).

I agree with you about the "good ol' days." However, I'm not so sure about the food....never understood the fascination with food on flights.

And as mentioned upthread, how about improving what is supposed to be their core competency?

24. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a change I like.

8MiHi likes this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    These perks do make the MAR Gold elite quite comparable to HH Gold, while both are light-years ahead of Hyatt Plats. The Hyatt Gold Passport program might have become my #3 program...

I'll take a crack at answering this one because it is quite easy. In my view, UA elite status of Premier Gold (and above) is much, much more valuable than MAR Gold because of the Star Alliance Gold status that comes with it -- benefits that one enjoys across 28 different carriers.Some of the benefits, like baggage allowance, are a Big Fat Deal. How about MAR Gold? Good only at Marriott!
    StarA-perks.png

unavaca likes this.