Announcing Innovative New Loyalty Benefits

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by J Zidell VP Hyatt, Feb 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear milepoint members,

Time flies when you’re having fun – and we’ve been having a lot of fun this year – all with you in mind! In early January we launched a new promotion, Stay More, Play More, followed by several new hotel openings, including Park Hyatt Sanya Sunny Bay Resort in China and Hyatt Regency Istanbul Atakoy in Turkey and most recently, we introduced our new lifestyle brand, Hyatt Centric.

Today, I’m excited to announce a suite of innovative new loyalty benefits for our most frequent guests that will create a more effortless and seamless travel experience. Listening to our guests around the world is an important part of building meaningful relationships and Hyatt Gold Passport members have expressed a desire for a relationship that goes beyond a hotel stay.

Guest of Honor – Beginning March 1
    Diamond members can extend their in-hotel benefits such as Regency Club or Grand Club access, free breakfast and late check out to family or friends when they transfer a free night stay using Hyatt Gold Passport points. By extending Diamond privileges to a members’ friends or family on an award stay, Hyatt is providing the warmest possible welcome and an extraordinary on-property experience. We’ll look after your Guest of Honor just like we look after you.

United Club Passes – Beginning March 1
    Diamond members will receive two complimentary United Club one-time passes annually. Diamond members will enjoy access to more than 45 United Club locations at airports served by United Airlines, with amenities that include complimentary bar service, light snacks, free Wi-Fi, conference room access and more. This benefit extends Hyatt’s hospitality beyond its hotels and ensures Diamond members are comfortable and productive throughout their entire travel journey.

Premium Wi-Fi – Beginning February 14, Diamond and Platinum members will receive premium Wi-Fi access (where available) in guestrooms and social spaces, such as lobbies and Hyatt-operated restaurants, at every Hyatt-branded hotel worldwide. Access to a premium Wi-Fi experience ensures members work more efficiently when away from the home or office.

I hope that you enjoy these new benefits, and as always, I look forward to hearing from you via this forum or directly at jeff.zidell@hyatt.com or @jeffzidell.

Wishing you safe travels and all my best,

Jeff Zidell
    Senior Vice President
    Hyatt Gold Passport

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Hyatt could take over United Club operations (Grand United Hyatt Club?) and make them a worthwhile place to visit :)

I am not a Diamond anymore, but I like the Guest of Honor benefit. Would have used it for my parents.

3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this.

Also, very glad that this is not a "devaluation" termed as "enhancement"

Garp74 and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering what benefits would be added to the Diamond tier after they basically just granted WiFi to everyone.

Personally, I'm on the fence about this though. More is obviously good, but is it really anything worthwhile? It seems the only difference with the "Guest of Honor" gimmick is that you *officially* bestow temporary Diamond status to someone, which you could sort-of do before by booking and adding them to your reservation. Granted, a lot of people used the "I'm checking in now but the Diamond member will check in later" type of workaround, and this is more legit, but still, it's not something that people haven't been using already.

The two club passes are good, but again, is it really a big deal? If you already have the right card or club access, this is pretty much pointless. They are worth something ($100 to be exact) so it's better than nothing, I suppose.

The Wi-Fi business we talked about before during the other announcement. I guess we go from "not that great" Wi-Fi to "well at least it's better than the other Wi-Fi" Wi-Fi for free, although I'm still going to carry my hotspot when I go, just in case it's still terrible. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have personally never used that workaround with Hyatt (and only once at all, with Best Western, where I had booked a prepaid stay under my name and ended up not being able to make it, so I wanted to make sure my wife could still use "our" room).

I think they are worth a lot less based on what I have seen on eBay.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "Guest of Honor" perk is indeed a significant new GP Diamond benefit. The only potential down side is that it might lead to overly crowded lounges. If this benefit is ever pulled, it would likely be because of that unintended consequence...

7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that HGP will eventually give stay credit for award stays just as Starwood does.

Gtitan, Brit, WhiteDesert and 2 others like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, let me rephrase that... United thinks they're worth $50 each, so if you buy them directly from UA, they're worth $100 :)

My understanding is that this is actually fairly common practice from what I've read. A lot of the time my wife and I will have conflicting schedules that will require her to either travel ahead or go alone. As I'm a Diamond and she's not, the logical choice is to book the stay under my name and add her as an additional guest, at which point she receives all of the Diamond benefits, regardless of whether I show up later or not. This is rare, so it makes no sense to try to pursue multiple Diamond memberships.

With that said, I hate to be the one to examine the horse's dental records... The devil's advocate would say that this is a precursor to a change that would close this loophole, however rarely used it might be.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    But isn't this quite different because you would not even have to be staying at the hotel for the beneficiary to inherit the Diamond privileges? I believe that most programs do allow someone sharing a room with a top elite to enjoy some of the benefits, but only if the top elite is also staying at the property; at the very least, the elite must be registered as a hotel guest at the time. But this is different in that the elite can officially gift an award stay to family or friends and they would inherit the elite benefits without the elite having to be anywhere near the property. Isn't that fundamentally different from what you mentioned?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    viguera likes this.
  10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the "direct" info. More benefits are always a good thing.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that I've ever seen that particular restriction... in my experience if I book a room and add my wife as an additional person, and I arrive a day later or don't show up, she still enjoys club access and / or breakfast, or an upgrade, etc. I don't know that I've ever seen this being an issue with other chains either, even when adding a friend rather than a relative.

I would imagine that booking an award stay -- cash & points or straight points -- for myself and adding my wife or my friend, would yield the same results. But then again, maybe my experiences are different than the norm.

The difference with this new benefit is that it's restricted to only award stays, so I can't book a room and add my mom for example and let her pay with her own credit card, I would have to spend my points.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going "by the book", at least as written in the HHonors T&C, elite benefits are extended to a third party only if that third party shares the room with the elite member. The concept of "sharing a room" is, however, very loose and since under the HHonors system participating hotels are given a great deal of autonomy, it is likely that they might decide not to enforce the T&C. So, I have almost always gotten away with having breakfast with someone I am not actually sharing a room with and they knew it and not being charged for it.

To see how the new GP Diamond benefit is different from, say, Honors' is that an elite member can currently book an additional room at the same property where s/he is staying and no one (HHonors' policy; GP may allow up to 4 for breakfast) in that extra room would inherit the elite member's benefits. I have booked rooms for relatives at the same hotel as me and only I and one person I claim to be sharing the room with me have ever been entitled to free breakfast. Under the new GP 'Guest of Honor' benefit an unlimited (?) number of people may now be allowed to have free breakfast or access to lounges, and it is a clear and huge difference. It is why the lounges may suddenly start to get more crowded than usual, which might be a reason for this benefit to be pulled, if it ever is. They might amend it to limit the number of people who can have this benefit at any time...

Am I misunderstanding how this would work?

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess time will tell, because I think there are certainly some distinctions between T&C and the real world, at least in my experience.

As far as I know, Hyatt is already extending my benefits to whomever is listed on the reservation with me, and / or whichever other 3 folks I decide to take with me to breakfast, or whomever I decide to take into the lounge.

Now, I'm not saying that I do (or will) abuse this in the future, but when I look at the new benefit, things actually seem more restrictive to me.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That Hyatt extends the free breakfast perk to a party of 4 is a given and should present no issue for that number of guests. What is unclear is to how many more guests on a gifted award stay does this formalized policy extend?.

Time will indeed tell, but at first blush it seems significant to me...

viguera likes this.
  15. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my hope as well. I think this is a major weak point (in an otherwise very strong program) of HGP as compared to SPG and HH.
    If Hyatt's footprint were larger it wouldn't be much of a deal. As things are, however...

Thomask, iflyjetzzz and IDGflygirl like this.
  16. theSuperStar

theSuperStar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Will renew my Diamond status again this year.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got the two club passes in the mail yesterday.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  18. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    More than one month has passed since the new loyalty benefits came into effect. While I REALLY miss the "my Elite rate" I have to say that I find the "Guest of honor" benefit super innovative and it works well. I have been able to bless others not just with a nice stay BUT ALSO HGP D. benefits. I do not notice any change regarding the Premium Wi-Fi, but the reason might be that I have been traveling in Mainland CN and all is censored.