Annie featured in Hemispheres (February 2012 edition)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone has flown out of SYD on United and were eligible to frequent the lounge there, they have probably met Annie.

[​IMG]

So I was really happy to see that she was the featured employee in the February 2012 Hemispheres Voices section.

And for those of you that have not flown on United out of SYD, then hopefully after reading the story, you'll want to do so, in order for you to meet one of United's best employees.

The only odd thing about the article was that they referred to a Star Alliance Lounge at SYD. It has been two years since I've been down under, but back then United used the Air New Zealand Koru Club Lounge.

Flyer1976, karung99, ohianjo and 6 others like this.
  2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool. I never met her yet, but there is a long thread at FT that's called "Annie is a Rock Star". Very interesting stories in there about her.

flyer_o, FriendlySkies and Infinite1K like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And some of us use the SKL next door. ;)

I get that many seem to really appreciate her work (though IME it was nothing different than many other employees), but I don't get the obsession.

Flyer1976 and snap like this.
  4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel like an idiot...I never knew there was a UA lounge there...I've only ever gone to the NZ lounge.

karung99 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There hasn't been one in a few years now. And the NZ lounge is MUCH nicer than the UA lounge was. In fact, I never met Annie on my first couple trips through SYD because it wasn't worth my time to trudge over to the dungeon that was the RCC.

MarkUK, karung99 and rggale like this.
  6. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmm...fresh pancakes :-:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    mmm.. Hot Dog Cart :)

I look forward to seeing Annie in May.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same boat. I've never heard of an employee that is so revered by frequent travelers. I'm looking forward to meeting her on a trip to OZ in the near future.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  9. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly... She does her job, but in experience, nothing over and beyond :confused:

10. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    NZ lounge might or might not be much nicer, but for sure they don't have ANNIE :p
    We had pictures with her each time we stopped by the lounge, she is one of the best UA CS just like Capt. Denny on Pilots side.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, they do now. The RCC has been closed for a while now and instead she has a desk in the Koru Lounge.

This has not been my experience, but I'm glad that others have had such good and consistent service. Every time I've become a regular at a club - which usually means 3 consecutive weeks at the same date/time - the agents I've worked with have remembered me, been friendly and, when working the bar, generally remembered my drink. That's the sort of service in the lounge that I consider normal, not exceptional.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually met her in 2007 in the RCC. I arrived rather early in the day from AKL on NZ and had a few hours to kill until my LAX flight on UA. The RCC was totally empty, with just a couple of passengers there. After a few minutes she came over and said I was also welcome to use either the NZ or SQ lounges upstairs, and that they were much nicer. I already knew this, having previously visited the NZ lounge. I was mostly in the RCC because I wanted to see how bad it really was before going upstairs to the better lounges.

So, yeah, I met her. She was very nice. And she told me I'd probably like the nicer lounges operated by other airlines upstairs better.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also never understood the Annie obsession. At. All. Truth be told, I'd actually probably go out of my way to avoid her.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Koru's Winnie is so much nicer, much more genuine. YMMV.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  14. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol, she did seem a bit manic... but I enjoyed her nonetheless, quite different than most.

snap likes this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that's someone I'd like to see the next time I'm in SYD. I do like Annie, she helps me out from time to time whenever I am flying out of SYD. However as someone mentioned she does her job and doesn't go above and beyond but if you're nice to her (and she likes you) she'll do pretty much anything within scope.

snap likes this.
  16. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell Annie Its Bongo (not Mongo) says hi!! See you in a week or so passing through SYD on SQ (will pop in from next door to say hi!!)

17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    She's always seemed pleasant to me. So often there are employees to avoid, but she's not one of them.

Flyer1976 likes this.